1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, a series of the real thing and then mine to as she is now:

Spitfire10cockpit.gif

aspitfireleft.gif

001_kpit_003.gif

aspitfiretopback.gif

04n_15_023.gif

aspitfireright.gif

448762773_0399812d86.gif

aspitfiretrhoughdoor.gif

And some gratuitous detail and general shots:

aspitfirefront.gif

aspitfirerear.gif

aspitfirefront1.gif

aspitfirerightdetail.gif

aspitfireside.gif

Still a lot to do to make her "flyable" but sitting in her now is great. The leather seat back and headrest are being done, and Spits is making teh door mechanism for me..thanks mate...so it is all go. Hopefully an update soon.

Wonderful shots Darryl!! It looks beautiful all painted and put back together! =D>

I know how good it must feel just to sit in it holding onto the stick and throttle after so much work! I love the way you posted the pictures of your spit with ones of the real thing for comparison. I'll have to do that when I get my 47 a little more together.

Keep up the good work and keep taking pictures!!

Thanks Glenn,

I fear that the 'pit has reached its full potential for phots. From here on in the computer sim stuff will start to detract from her beautiful lines. I may be wrong, hope I am!

Beauty! You've done a cracking job mate, and I'm not at all jealous...honest!!
BTW ,I've just found an old cassette tape I made when photographing the BBMF back in the 80's, with a start-up and running of one of the Spit19's and the Spit V (plus Lanc and Hurricane), and also a fly-by. If you think the audio effects might be useful, let me know and I'll check the whole tape, copy it and send you it. I don't think I can put it onto a CD, but I'll check.

Thank you gents!

I am pretty pleased with the finish. I will probably tinker for ages on fine details...just my nature...and I will need to get at least the piping done to feel that it is in any way "finished" but for now I am feeling very good about the whole thing.

Things like the chair lift handle are made but not in yet and I have the radiator lever done but awaiting a better switch and the "gate" to be carved out of 3mm ally. I am taking a few days break now, just to get some real work done and get my head back into gear...12 hour days at work and 5 hour nights on this can't continue indefinately...but I do want to fly her as soon as possible.

Terry, thanks I will take you up on that at some stage mate. And I haven't forgotten the Mk22 pictures or the commission for a painting either. I need to try to find out if Tony Hill's Spitfire was a blue or a dicer when he took "those" photos. The bulding and cliffs I have a good mix of period and modern photos of.

cheers all!!

Last edited:
Hi mate,bl00dy hell you came up with the goods big time.The pit looks awsome. :) Got the handle shaped up,just a cleanup and holes drilled off,then the fiddly clevises and latches etc..Trying to get my hands on a milling machine at the mo...
For anything historical about Spits I ask here...
Historic Aviation - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums
Can ask for you..
cheers Ross

No rush for the Mk22 stuff Darryl, and I'll look forward to doing the painting of 'that' op. I've already visualised it, just got to get around to doing some rough sketches, then a working drawing, which the painting will be based on.

Hi Ross, thanks mate. I expect to see some progress on YOURS now!:D

I look forward to the door latch, I have a feeling that from inside the cockpit it will change the feel somewhat...with walls closing in around you. I know it does on a Tiger Moth.

Anyhooo...thanks a million for the support and encouragement from all of you.

Thank you gents!

... I need to try to find out if Tony Hill's Spitfire was a blue or a dicer when he took "those" photos. The bulding and cliffs I have a good mix of period and modern photos of.

cheers all!!

F/L A.E. Hill flew R7044 on the 05 Dec 41 sortie, it was a PR.IV, these would normally have been PRU blue. To have taken an oblique photo it must have had "X" Type camera installation which included an F.24 oblique camera.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Great info Andy! Would you happen to knolw if the canopy had the 'blisters', or if it was the standard hood?

Hi Airframes,

As A4K says the PR.IV was fitted with canopy blisters as standard, I've not seen a photo of R7044 but I think it a fair assumption that it would have blisters.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

:thumbleft:
Ok, a series of the real thing and then mine to as she is now:

OK...I give in...which is which ?

Mate, you should be proud of what you've produced there:thumbleft: . Still no shots of you in the 'office yet !

Thanks for the kind words all and Andy for the information.

I need to make her flyable and do a lot of pipe detailing etc but that will need to wait a few weeks now while I catch up on some RL stuff. I'll post pictures of any progress I do make.

The next is likely to be the seat upholstery and head rest..and Ross is powering along on the door latch, so I will make the door soon too.

cheers

Got this from the historical guys..
"F/L A.E. Hill flew R7044 on the 05 Dec 41 sortie, it was a PR.IV, these would normally have been PRU blue. To have taken an oblique photo it must have had "X" Type camera installation which included an F.24 oblique camera.

The Spitfire PR Type G was usually used for low level dicing, these were still in general use with 1 PRU at the time and were often Green in colour. The Type G retained its armament and presumably its gunsight.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back