1/24 MK V Spitfire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now I think I have it Terry on the rudder itself is the CBAF/2886 and the tail is the EN851 now tell me Terry the EN851 was assigned by the US?because I went with even paint scheme.Now do you thing the CABF was on both sides of the rudder? and since the profile shows the R/S of the plane Lima is only there?since most profiles show the L/S.

The serial number EN851 was the original (British) Air Ministry serial number assigned to a RAF aircraft. These were retained by the USAAF, as American serial numbers were assigned by the Fiscal Year in which the contract was produced. As mentioned, to come into line with US practice, this number was moved from the rear fuselage, to the fin.
As far as i know, the CBAF number was on the starboard side rudder only, and the 'Lima' name on the starboard only. I've been trying to find the other pic i have of the aircraft, from the port side, but without success so far.
The practice of 'even' and 'odd' serial number - related camouflage schemes was dropped in late 1941, although there were some exceptions,so it should be painted as per the profile.
I've just checked an old and battered 1/48th scale Spit I built from the same unit, and can confirm that the code letters were 30 inch. (Mine retained the yellow outer ring to the fuselage roundel, which was normally removed by September 1942 - one month before a US Directive ordered the addition of a yellow ring on US aircraft as an additional recognition feature !!)

Very cool, I'm actually learning a lot from this build.

Thanks David so am I and it is not all good :).Tonight I got the stars on the circles are 1.333" to comply with the 32" in real life.The stars on the decals were like 1.25+" so I cut one out and transfer to frisket paper.I mainly used the male of the star except for the lower wing which I used the female.The female had to be used for the fact there is a hump I had to go over in which the blue was filled in first female laid and slit cut at the hump and a filler tape applied then the white.Now the star on the left side of the fuse was last one done and some bleeding occurred due to the fact it now had been used five times and once landed on the floor sticky side down of course.Oh Oh the big over zealous mistake star on the right wing :banghead: How many times do I have to paint this plane?So just some small touchups with the brush are at hand.Cheers folks catch ya later ;)

It looks like the star on the R/S might be crooked sure did not catch that in the shop maybe an illusion will look tomorrow possibilly.

Attachments

• mark V 040_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    mark V 040_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 108
  • mark V 038_edited (800 x 598).jpg
    mark V 038_edited (800 x 598).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 110
  • mark V 039_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    mark V 039_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 104
  • mark V 037_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    mark V 037_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Thks David and Wayne.David it is starting to wear abit but it has to be finished to much work involved in this one.Once the other paint scheme was found fictictious for what was known I had to find another plane that was true.Wayne I will try to look again this morning I do not know if it's the lines on the board playing tricks but last night before pics I sure could not see it.It's not to say I might of got distracted or lost focus for a moment I was kinda out of sorts all day yesterday even the wife noticed.

A good note I have a nephew about 11 yrs old I gave him an old 1/32 revell P-51B/C to build.This boy Andrew is a wiz at taking things apart and putting it back together so I passed akit I would never build he loved it and is asking for more.Like math the instructor always shows one the hard way at first then the tricks so I gave the old glue,basic knife and close pins.The kits #34(mom #2) he got the liguid cement.I told his mother that I work in the shop at night and this Thursday I will be in there if he wants to come over and do some hand painting she was in for that.I have a second table I have set up for another project a wooden boat one day a perfect station for the young lad.

Looking very good Kevin, but some bad news I'm afraid. The stars and blue discs were only displayed on the upper port wing, and lower starboard wing, with the original RAF roundels painted out.

Looking very good Kevin, but some bad news I'm afraid. The stars and blue discs were only displayed on the upper port wing, and lower starboard wing, with the original RAF roundels painted out.

.Oh Oh the big over zealous mistake star on the right wing :banghead: How many times do I have to paint this plane?So just some small touchups with the brush are at hand.Cheers folks catch ya later ;)

It looks like the star on the R/S might be crooked sure did not catch that in the shop maybe an illusion will look tomorrow possibilly.

I got ya Terry ;) Thks fellas for the input it's partly what keeps me going.Like I have said this build is testing out new grounds in painting,scratch building and the always fortitude into preserverence and patience.I still have not walked out into the shop to look at the R/S star there Wayne.

Despite all the problems Kevin, it's still looks great. Your painting is 1st class.

By the way, did any UK members see the programme on 'Operation Crossbow' on BBC 2, last Sunday evening? It was largely about photo reccon during WW2 and had some great historical colour footage of US marked PR Spitfires of the period, as well as modern in-flight footage of a refurbished Spitfire in PR colours for the reconstructed scenes. Might well be worth keeping an eye out for, if it's repeated. May even make an appearance on YouTube?

A brief update to my previous post. I just discovered from my TV guide that the 'Operation Crossbow' is being repeated tonight, May 17th, on BBC 2 Northern Ireland at 11.20pm BST (possibly the same on other BBC regions?). Those outside the British isles may be able to get it on the internet. It's well worth a view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back