1/24 MK V Spitfire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tom Neil always refers to the gunsight as the "humane destroyer." It was common for pilots to fly with non-tightened straps; if you ever get a chance to strap yourself into a Spitfire, pull them tight, then try looking over your shoulder, when it's impossible to turn your body.
If you can still get hold of it, there's a book in the Classic colours series, under the subtitle USAAF Colours 1, entitled "American Eagles, American volunteers in the RAF 1937-1943," ISBN 1-903223-16-4, by Tony Holmes, published in 2001 by Classic Publications. Inside are several photos and illustrations of Vbs, flown by the likes of Don Gentile, Jim Daley, Harrison Thyng, and Frank Hill, many (not all) with the roundels overpainted with stars (no bars.)
Edgar

Last edited:
I can't quite make out, on the box illustration, which Fighter group this is supposed to be. But if it's the 4th FG, in the ETO, the the 'VF' codes are those of the 336th Fighter Squadron. The bars to the stars were not added until the order of June 28th 1943, to be implemented by September 1st of that year, by which time the 4th had converted to P47s.
Those FGs in the ETO using Spit MkVs retained the standard RAF camouflage, with Sky codes, normally with stencil breaks, the Sky tail band was also still in place, and roundels with stars (no bars)as previously described.
However, there was a later FG in the MTO using 'VF' codes, the number of which escapes me at the moment, but their aircraft were in the MTO scheme !

Thks Terry I also conversed with Edgar about this and he told me about the same as you.I have been over at Wings Pallette looking around and see some that I like.It will not be difficult to make the conversion just more time something for many of us comes in short supply.I really should of done more research on that paticular subject on the box even I myself raised and eyebrow at the scheme :confused:I wish I could find a picture and I even thought of emailing HC as to were in the heck that got the profile for a source.Anyway I am looking at this ...from wings Pallette...

Attachments

• 3_31_a1.jpg
    3_31_a1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 3_31.jpg
    3_31.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 135
Yep, that's what they should look like. I've got a photo of 'Lima Challenger' if you need it. Note the serial number in small characters on the fin top, and the paintwork seems a bit more faded in the photo, compared to the profile.

I have a few other pics and profiles if you need them Kevin. MD-B abd -E of 339th FS and XR-B "Stinky" of 334th FS. May be able to rustle up some more.

Sounds good guys and I appreciate the input.I think I am going with Lima though.Now I like to ask for some help from the forum?I never have made decals before and I was wondering Terry or Andy if ya'll could aid me in making the "lima Challenger" decal if it's not asking to much.I think I can scrounge up the number code and I will paint everything else.Terry,Andy and Edgar if any other pics out there of this crate I would appreciate that also. Thks Kevin

I'll check my other photos, as I think I might have another one of 'Lima', and post something very soon.
As for the the name in decals, that's a difficult one, as white letters can't be done unless one has an ALPS printer. They could be done on white decal sheet with a coloured background also, but getting a match with the paint would be more difficult than finding Hitler's dog! As this is a large scale, I'd suggest either white 'Letraset' or similar rub-down lettering, or white decal letters, applied individually. Of course, you could try making a stencil, and painting them in !!

Here you go Kevin, one shot of 'Lima Challenger' at Merston in August 1942. (Still looking for the other shot).
She appears to have the internally armoured windscreen, and the small lettering on the tip of the rudder reads 'CBAF/2886'. the works number from the Castle Bromwich factory.

Attachments

• Can Jan 455.jpg
    Can Jan 455.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 162
I did not think of the white decals Terry I will give that a shot at the LHS this W/E.Thks for the photo I guess med ocean bottom,ocean gray and dark green with sky spinner and stripe?I got one more go at this.I am thinking of entering a Bf110 in 1/72 from Testors with a serious AM kit on the Gruppe Build.I was chatting with Wojtek the other day about the build and thinking the He177 and I forgot it was Fw/Bf build :banghead:Wotjek sent me a nice 1/48 ICM kit of the Lagg-3 ;) my first ever ICM kit 8).

Yep, Medium Sea Grey undersides, Ocean Grey and Dark Green uppers. The painted-out roundels would, of course, look slightly darker, and note that the yellow outer ring to the fuselage roundel was also over-painted in Grey. Sky spinner, codes and fuselage band.

Last edited:
I agree with Terry on the white decals Kevin - a very difficult option IMHO. However, if you want to stick with using white decals option but don't want to try to get the background colour to match, the only other thing that I might suggest (and this only because you're working in large scale) is to create a photoshopped grey outline of the lettering, print that to the white paper, and then cut the letters out by hand with a sharp #11 X-acto. I cringe at the thought though. I'd go the Letraset route if they can be found.

Have not found any more pics other than the ones I mentioned in my earlier post but if you get disillusioned trying to get the Lima Callenger lettering to come out right, let me know.

No problem Andy hell I am even contemplating possibily doing a stencil on some frisket paper and spray "I have ne fear" :)

Terry the codes on the tail are they CBAF/2886 or CBAF 2886? hard to tell from the pics.

Terry another question how big do you think the roundels were on the upper wing,lower wing and the side of the fuse.I have the Dk Green down now and have to paint those then repray the RAF Gray and Green again.I am pestering you ain't I ? :)

Last edited:
No problem Kevin. The roundels were the standard RAF items, just overpainted in blue, with the stars added. All were 32 inch diameter, with the 'Sky' tail band being 18 inches wide. Note the serial number on this aircraft has been moved to the top of the fin, just under the rudder horizontal joint line, and is black, in probably 4 inch high characters. (Standard RAF serials were 8 inch high.).

Note the serial number on this aircraft has been moved to the top of the fin, just under the rudder horizontal joint line, and is black, in probably 4 inch high characters.

I may be getting confused here isn't that the CABF/2886 thats on the tail?The Blue for the Stars then I guess 24" probably which in this scale is 1".The ID codes on the fuse are probably 24" also with an 18" star setup?Went and looked again looks 24" star on the fuse also.

Last edited:
The CBAF number was the factory contract production number Kevin. The serial number (equivalent to the 'tail number' on USAAF aircraft) was EN851 on this aircraft. This would have originally been on the rear fuselage, in 8 inch characters, just forward of the tail plane on each side. To come into line with USAAF practice, this was moved (in smaller characters) to the fin. This was the aircraft's 'identity', and remained with it for life. (unless 'struck off charge' and available as an 'Instructional airframe', or transferred to a foreign nation other than 'allied'.)
The fuselage roundels were also 32 inch diameter, with the stars in all cases having their 'points' at the circumference. Codes on this machine appear to be 30 inch,or possibly 32 inch, in 'Sky', although 24 inch codes were also used.
The aircraft would have also had the yellow leading edge stripes on the main wings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back