1/32 IL-2M3 Sturmovik - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wojtek did some reading and as for "white 1" hobbyboss might have the camo incorrect that sight showed a third color and the spinner being red.

Here is hobbyboss color call out of the "white 1"

008.JPG

As far as the third colour is concerned ... yes there was the third one. But regarding the paint of the spinner... I wouldn't be sure it was the red one. These darker colours of the camo scheme seen in these pictures taken "in flight" look like being a little bit lighter than the spinner one. So it might have been the red. Unless somewhere there is an info about that mentioned in a diary for instance.

Thanks Wojtek .

Never understood those white parabolic lines in front of the cockpit windscreen. What were they for?

Andy I really dont know ether maybe Wojtek will chime in.

I have found...

Initially Il-2 was equipped with the PBP-1b bombsight ( on right in the first picture below ). It was a device taken from Pe-2 diving bomber. Unfortunately the gunsight was a little too big for the Il-2 cockpit and many pilots lost their lives or were wounded seriously by hitting the PBP-1b with heads. Therefore the gunsights were removed. Instead of this there were painted white lines on the top of the engine cowling and fuselage. These lines and small matal cones were a simplified VV-1 bombsight used for the S-43 ( also L-43 or ChS-38 ) way of attacking. Lines indicated when starting diving at altitude 50,100,200 or 300 metres. Then a pilot started counting for a few seconds and and dropping bombs. These lines can be noticed on the left in the first picture. The second image below shows the the VV-1 bombsight.

ww1_PBP-1b.jpg

ww1.jpg

Great info Wojtek, and great choice Jerry!

They pulled an Il-2 up from Lake Balaton here a couple of years ago. Rear fuselage and outer wing panels had rotted away, being wood as Wojtek mentioned, but the rest is intact and in great condition! She's on display at Szolnok Air base in a tent with remains of other aircraft recovered from the region. (Fw 190A-8, Bf 110G, Me 210, B-24, etc)
Will post my pics when I find them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back