1/32 Ki-61-I Hien

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

4424 went through a few changes in its short career. started with a mottled green, then removed to NMF then remottled again during this phase a few id colours were altered one of which was the red wing ID stripes to differentiate the leader from the other aircraft for a particular mission, this marking was only applied for a short time before it returned to the standard yellow.
The red reference comes from Japanese sources, one of which somewhere cited a member of the 244th Sentai confirmed the red marking.

I understand Pal. Undoubtedly it is the same Ki-61 that can bee seen in already posted images. The layout of camo spots and their shapes are the same. The problem is that there is no reference to the yellow colour in the shot. So.. if we assume the picture was taken with the orthochromatic/isochromatic negative, the ID strips were yellow because the B&W tonality of the colour is represented just in the way. But if it was the panchromatic/izopanchromatic negative , especially with yellow filter , the colour was red.

Last edited:
Not sure if the image has been posted here. But it can come in handy too.

Gents,

I have this pic in my Hien fighter book.

This a/c is stated to be Kobayashi's #4424. The caption states the Leading edge wing markings are red. The pilot in the picture is 2nd Lt. Itakura.
The drop tanks have the Kanji Hi and Sho which combine to make HISHO or translated as "Certain Victory"
I also have a picture of #5262 on the previous page with all the same ground crew and Lt. Itakura. It looks to be taken at the same time and I would assume with the same camera. However, 5262 is painted all green and has the yellow/orange leading edge ID stripes.

Not saying either or but just noting the pictures in my book.

Last edited:
So believing the caption we can say these ID strips at leading edges were of red colour. And now all is clear.

Small update.

I am working on the area behind the cockpit and looking to add the Fuel Pressure regulator to frame in this area. For the tank I am going to use a 1/35 scale German gas mask Canister. However, I have almost no references of this area should look like in terms of the plumbing around it. Also, I am wondering what Colour the Japanese used to denote Fuel lines and parts used for fuel. The picture atttached shows red. Can anyone confirm this?

Geo,

These are great pictures!! You can see the lines coming off the tank fairly clearly. There appears to be 2 of them. On on the top and one below with one going to the right (looks like the one on top) and the other to the left. The third pic appears to show the regulator bottle from the rear right side looking forward toward the cockpit. Note the angled part of the airframe at the lower left of the shot.

Users who are viewing this thread