1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fantastic work Gerry, it really looks like the real thing !
It might be worthwhile temporarily cladding the fuselage, maybe just with paper painted Interior Grey Green, just wrapped around the frames (perhaps even tissue used on flying models), then take some interior photos, looking down the fuselage at various points. Given you can get some light inside, which could be done by leaving gaps in the cladding which would be 'out of shot', as well as lamps shining through the paper, the results should look just like the real thing, and will be a permanent record of the work done which, as you've mentioned, won't be fully seen again once the sections are assembled and skinned.
I'd love to see this 'in the flesh', and hopefully I might some day, if or when I can get across to meet up with you and Evan.

Awesome job my friend Gerry, and scale you are working on ... and with those tremendous detail you are putting him ... I'm really impressed.

Mi mas amplia felicitación!!

Luis Carlos
SANCER

Thanks to everyone for your continued support and enthusiasm. Andy, it's a pleasure to share my progress - and frustrations - on this build with the forum. If I didn't have the input and positive criticism, I think I'd have gone gaga by now.

Terry, I take your point. I think the instructions suggest skinning before before joining the sections. If that in fact works (without leaving bad gaps) it would allow for the type of shots you suggest. But if I join the sections before skinning, I will make sure to get some interior shots with the walls in place. And if Jan and yourself ever make it over, I'd be delighted to show it to you. Otherwise I might have to take it on tour!

Gerry

You could take it to Cockpit Fest - don't think the rules mention it's got to be full-size !!!
I definitely want to see it some day. I've already mentioned to Evan that I'd like to get over to see him, so it's on my list. Doubt it'll happen this year, although there's a slim chance, but could be a date for next year.

Hello again,

Just thought I'd better give an interim update lest you think I've given up on the project. Since my last post, I took about four weeks out of the Lancaster build to allow me to make some progress on another build I'm working on, so that slowed progress down somewhat. I said at the start of the year that I'd like to get three subjects completed for our Nationals in September. I now think it'll definitely be one and, hopefully, two.

However, some work on the Lanc has been progressed but it's not the most photogenic. There's still a lot of basic structural construction to be tackled. Most of the work to be done concerns the starboard wings etc – most of which I detailed when I was tackling the port side – so I see no reason to bore you with that detail again. There will be some more interesting bits – the turrets, engines, and bomb bay and I will cover those when I get to them. The temptation is to concentrate on the glamorous bits at the expense of the basics – but these will still have to be faced at some point.

I did another audit of what remains to be completed and there's still about 50 issues that haven't been touched and some work stringing and painting on parts already completed. My strategy is to aim to complete two or three issues per week from now on, depending on their complexity, and paint in batches for efficiency. This will still theoretically give me time to also do some work on my other builds. However, I'm sure life and holidays will also conspire to delay completion.

Here's just a few examples of what I've been doing in the last few weeks.

I grouped these parts together to await painting. Top left is the port inner wing section containing the split flaps. The flap control rod I decided to add but, as the ribs hadn't been pre-drilled, I had to cut and place each section individually. The two punched panels were also added and the lower flap constructed. The idea is that the thin opening rods for the flaps will be added when the lower flap is positioned.

Top right is the port tailfin and rudder skeleton constructed and sanded to an aerodynamic shape. There should be skins for these further along in the build.

Bottom right is the starboard tailplane, which I'm still stringing.

Next is a composite shot of the crew entry door, showing it from the front and back. This, unfortunately, is not designed to be a working door but can be posed open or closed. I'll have it open and moveable, although it's been sanded to fit in the closed position. The handle locking mechanism does however work and it all still awaits painting.

Partial skinning of the port underwing, incorporating the landing lights, was next. The wing skins came in three pieces, two of which I sample painted to see how the final assembly might look, with the landing lights in place. I can see that the joins between the sections are going to be an ongoing problem and will probably need filling in places. This is because the point of contact against stringers is so tiny that a good bond is difficult to achieve along the full length of the section.

And lastly, a closer view of the lights themselves.

That's it for now. I will keep you updated as I make progress but please bear with me as there could be slightly longer gaps as I wait for something interesting enough to post. I'll sign off by welcoming Skinvet to the thread. I'm sure your build will be fine and that my posts will help you avoid some problems, particularly with the instructions, as you progress.If there's any way I can help you or you have any questions relating to any aspect of the build, I'd be delighted to try to help.

Gerry

Last edited:
Although apparently are few photos, we know the work demand (considering your other activities ... as you mention)

We are several who will be watching your progress. Take the time necessary, your Lanc so is deserving !!

Saludos

Users who are viewing this thread