1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys and, Luis Carlos, good to see you making great progress on your Liberator.

I've got on with skinning the starboard side, which features the fuselage cutaways. Strange to say, I didn't seem to have as many problems as I had on the port side. Perhaps some lessons were learnt from the previous attempt. Everything here is hand cut, including the entry door. That was my essential reference point for lining up and cutting the three panels that comprise the skins of the starboard side of this section of the build. The trickiest bit was lining up the cutout sections between the upper (roof) panels and the new side panels. A lot of measuring required, several times, before final cutting. Anyway, here's the assembled side from a few angles. Again, a test fit to make sure everything is still lining up properly (I'm getting a little paranoid about getting this straight as there are no connecting points to match up to).

P1080909_zpsw3z2ukt1.jpg

P1080908_zpsfjflljai.jpg

P1080910_zpsd3v8tuxi.jpg

Seeing it assembled, one thing that this has made me consider is whether I'll need to cut away some of the formers. Because of the way they catch the light, they're the things you see first and they distract from the interior. I think I can do it without weakening the structure by cutting away some that aren't supporting any equipment. Any thoughts?

The underside is now skinned as well.

P1080913_zpspr6hmsjk.jpg

Some filling and sanding will be required here . Hopefully it'll all blend together when sanded and painted.

Finally, this is the best angle I can get of this section of the interior to show part of the skinned port side. This is probably the last chance to see it as when it's attached to the next sections it won't be accessible.

P1080921_zpsqc2tsg57.jpg

There's still a lot of tidying up to be done before I can call this section complete. The biggest decision is when to fill and sand. I'm coming around to the thought that it should be done sooner rather than later. Looking forward through the next few issues, the next major job is to attach this section to the section containing the wing roots, as in the earlier photos. Then the front cabin section will be added. It will probably be easier to fill and sand before this is done.

Before that though, following the magazine sequence, some detailing to the wings need to be undertaken. I'll keep you posted as I progress to more interesting areas.

Gerry

Fantastic. Gerry you could probably get away with cutting a few formers along with the related stringers but it won't be long before the structure is weakened longitudinally. I'd suggest you start small and test the stiffness before cutting more.

It's a surprising breakthrough Gerry, you're really in a top-notch job. :notworthy:
It is a delight to see how you are handling everything.
Thank you for your comment, I am in the biggest airplane that I have been armed; But I can not imagine yours on my work table !!

Saludos y un abrazo amigo. :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Great work on the skin Gerry, many hours of dedication for a fantastic result. Can't wait to see the next two sections skinned, especially the cockpit section. In answer to your earlier question, yes, my rear turret "glass" is cracked as well. The middle portion has almost separated as the crack is deep. Not sure which way to go, either leave as is, try and replace the glass with clear plastic, or scratch build a replacement. Something to think about later though as there's a lot more work to do before I get to that.
Keep up the progress mate as it's looking sensational.

Tim.

That's really looking the biz Gerry !
Personally, I think I would leave all frames, stringers and longerons as they are, rather than risk deforming the structure.
Once the outside is painted, and the 'cutaways' given a red edging, the overall appearance will be much better, and bear in mind that viewing with the naked eye is a lot different to viewing a photo, especially one taken with Macro.

Gerry, a quick question for you and the lads. Clearly seen in the pics above are the three canisters mounted side by side at the end of the inner starboard wing. Do you think there should be three more on the port side which Hachette forgot to include( I don't trust them), or is there indeed only the three on the starboard side?

Tim.

Gerry, a quick question for you and the lads. Clearly seen in the pics above are the three canisters mounted side by side at the end of the inner starboard wing. Do you think there should be three more on the port side which Hachette forgot to include( I don't trust them), or is there indeed only the three on the starboard side?

Tim.

Tim, My only reference for the bottles is from the SAM Modellers Datafile for the Lancaster. These are listed as emergency air bottles for the undercarriage and flap extension. Unfortunately, I only have this in digital form so can't scan the reference. However, If you have access to a copy there are photos of the exposed ends of both port and starboard inner wings, (Page 127), showing the bottles on the starboard wing only. The caption to the port wing photo states: "...note the lack of air bottles on this side."

As regards your canopy, I have four in the same condition. However I repair it, I should only be using two of them at most. I'll post a snap of the two remaining when I get the chance and, if they're of any use to you for parts, I'd be happy to post them on.

And thanks to George, Andy, Luis Carlos, Robert, Terry, Wurger and Gnomey for your continued support. I haven't taken any decision yet on cutting the formers.

Gerry

Just reread the above post this morning. Not as clearly expressed as i thought when posting it. My interpretation of the information on the SAM Datafile photos of the wing air bottles is that they were only ever mounted on the starboard wing. Hope that's bit clearer.

Gerry

I knew you guys would know the answer, and that diagram is awesome! Hachette failed to include some detail along the way, a couple of fuel tanks and the radio to name a few, I presumed they may have failed to include the air bottles as well, so thanks for clearing that up.

Hi Garry, I have just joined the Forum having been lucky enough to buy a part kit and a full kit of this model second hand. I normally build large scale sailing ships but this build looked like a serious challenge. Unfortunately I got to book 35 before discovering your posts it would have been easier if I could have followed you earlier. You have done a great job, mine will not have the same detail but it is an enjoyable journey. Keep up the good work :)

Welcome to the forum Pete. I hope you find some help for your build from all the generous contributions to the thread from our forum members and hopefully you'll find some answers to questions you may have, as you progress. Always interested to see progress on another Lanc build and I'm sure that, with your experience of large ship builds, the skills involved there should transfer nicely to this project. Thanks Andy for posting the graphics of the emergency air bottles and thanks again everybody for your continuing contributions to this thread.

I've made a little progress since my last post but, as I decided to fill and sand the rear fuselage before progressing (The right decision!), that took a up a fair bit of my time. The next major part of the build was to join the rear fuselage to the over wing section containing the rest bunk.

Here are the two sections in question.

P1080931_zps9aafcptg.jpg

Although, out of build sequence, I had decided that it would be better to attach the crew cabin to the front of the centre section first, as it seemed that this would be easier do first. Again, the right decision, I think.

The problem here was again the lack of registration points to connect the two sections shown. The instructions just call for a butt join between the two bulkheads using contact adhesive. I knew this wasn't going to work but decided to try it anyway. The problem is that the forward section is very heavy indeed. Even without the two inner engines attached, the two-section front weighs 475g, that's over 1lb. Despite the undercarriage taking some of the strain, I still felt that it wouldn't be strong enough to hold and I was proved right, when after 24 hours curing, it sagged when I took away the Lego jigs I had made to support the sections. So to plan B.

The only way I could think of to support it was to use brass pins that I didn't want to be visible in the exposed interior. I carefully measured the positions for the pins and receiving holes on both bulkheads, A,B,C & D. Three of the pins had to be short so that they didn't protrude fully through the bulkheads but I was lucky with pin D that could be longer as it is concealed under the rest bunk. My main concern was that my measurements mightn't be accurate and I would find it didn't match up properly. But after a test fit it matched perfectly and this time, cyanoacrylate was used to cement it firmly in position, at the correct angle. Of course, I totally forgot to take a photo of the pins, hence the graphic.

At last the Lancaster is able to support itself on its undercarriage.

P1080933_zpstcslff0l.jpg

Before I stuck it together though, I took a couple of shots looking forward as this view is unavailable now that the fuselage sections are completed.

P1080926_zpsyy8ouwjj.jpg

P1080928_zpsndexhye4.jpg

And although I posted this recently, here again is the view looking towards the rear from the rest bunk.

P1080920_zpsic2l6emj.jpg

Now a couple of angles of his section nearly completed. There will be a bit more filling and sanding between the new sections.

P1080934_zpsw6chryj5.jpg

P1080939_zpsg7hmahch.jpg

The dorsal turret fairing has been attached but needs blending into the fuselage with some filler. And I would like to draw Tim and Pete's attention to the Lower longeron 'A'. You may already have spotted this but the instructions neglect to inform you to continue it on from the wing trailing edge to the fuselage join under the dorsal turret. (Or if they do, I've missed it so far).

Finally, for this post, a shot of the underside showing the complete length of the bomb bay. It's a bit dark in there and still needs all the plumbing to be added to the side walls – not to mention the bombs. This is literally going to be a 'Heavy' when it's finished!!

P1080946_zpsd1lw9obx.jpg

I also cut an exit slot 'A' for the flare chute opposite the crew door. This is based on the one on S-Sugar at Hendon.

The only section needed now to complete the fuselage is the nose. Although most of the interior for this is done, the exterior and escape door need to be completed and that's a few issues into the future.

Noseport2_zpsb638bf1a.jpg

Most of the next tranche of work is on the wings, which I've started on. I'll keep you updated as I progress but am away for our main summer break in about a week's time. If I get anything substantial done between now and then I'll post before I go.

Cheers,

Gerry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back