1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work on the aileron hinge location Gerry, what a surprise Hachette got it wrong, again!
Your work on the trailing edge join shows high skill as it bridges two but joins with alignment needing to be perfect, which yours certainly is, well done.
Gerry, you continue to be a true Pathfinder, thank you for your effort.

Hi Guys. Thanks once again for your encouraging comments. I appear to be working on a boring part of the build at the moment but am gradually making progress that I'd like to bring up to date. What I've been working on since my last post is the skinning of the wingtips – port and starboard.

First, a reminder that the wingtips supplied were solid wood, with no rib structure.

6df120b4-9299-43f1-a4e6-c46015b1b88d.jpg

Here are the instructions for riveting the wing tips. These, I believe, are incorrect.

fd77a4aa-bf19-4b05-9652-53fb3f7d0e8a.jpg

I decided to base the riveting on the rib structure, as shown in the two references below. These are from the Haynes Lancaster Owner's Guide and one of them is an official RAF diagram from the same source.

27181af9-3a2c-426f-9273-57da925cbe28.jpg

18980452-f15c-4c5b-80b1-f53310ef729b.jpg

First the shapes of the wingtips had to be cut from the metal sheet supplied (bottom). Then, they were marked and riveted which begins to shape them to the wing contour (top).

bf4d37c4-112e-4f92-b4a7-7952f627cecc.jpg

The trickiest bit was shaping about 3mm on the front to match the tapering on the leading edge. This was achieved by many fittings and shaping the edge with a pliers and a light hammer.

d0f23473-c347-413c-bbc6-f87b2c51abde.jpg

The shapes were initially cut using the cardboard templates supplied. However, careful measuring and fitting to the wooden base is essential, and trimming and fitting was required to match to the edge of the aileron, the position of the navigation lights and the curve around the leading edge. I found that I may have over-sanded the trailing edge of the wooden wingtip. Now the rear of the metal panels extend beyond it - but crimp to a nice thin trailing edge.

Having done all the measuring and adjusting, the wingtips, one panel at a time, were contact glued into place, clamped and left overnight to cure. The small steel rules put pressure on the inner panel edge to give good contact across the width of the wooden wing.

26fc723f-9b07-4068-8a7e-b92e3462d06e.jpg

So finally, this part of the port and starboard wings skinning is complete. Here are the wings as they stand. The port wing is now fully skinned. The starboard wing requires the top and leading edge to be skinned, which I hope to get to shortly.

8e8365c2-c91b-4015-af51-903f394a10f8.jpg

24872183-3649-44c6-9f01-ff76e1f94da1.jpg

As you can see, there will be filling and sanding required before these wings can be attached to the inner wings. On that, I would strongly recommend to Tim and Pete that they attach as little as possible to the wings before finishing skinning. The instructions would have the engines and parts of the cowlings attached by now. I found that, with the amount of manipulation required, I disturbed the dropped flaps and will have to re-secure them. God knows what else I'd have knocked off if the engines had been in situ!

The instructions also call for the navigation lights to be added now.

01c18252-7abe-4d59-8169-61225f30d100.jpg

I'd prefer to leave them at least until the wings are painted. They're less likely to be damaged then. Also, I'm not sure if the instructions are correct here either. All my research indicates that they should be clear lenses with coloured bulbs but I could be mistaken. I'd be grateful if someone could confirm this.

Finally, finally, another alert for Tim and Pete. In issue 112, the opening instruction is to remove the skin from the port wing inner trailing edge and turn it 180 degrees because the riveting doesn't match the riveting on the main wing. This would initially have been skinned very early on in the build. I had spotted this before I skinned it and wasn't caught out by it. I think that I may have flagged it at the time. If it's not too late for you guys, check out issue 112 before you skin that piece.

Now it's back to the workhouse (sorry, work bench) for me.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Last edited:
Guys, as you may have noticed, this thread has been affected by the Photobucket extortion attempt. Lucky13 (Jan) has started a thread about his own experience with this problem on a separate thread and his very succinct summation of it very much mirrors mine. In brief, I have been using Photobucket as a hosting site for my photos, copying them to this and other fora (forums) from there. Sometime last week they changed their t&c's, without any notice and elevated third party hosting - copying photos to forums to you and me - from a free to use service to an expensive annual subscription of $399. This has resulted in all of the photos that I have posted to this and other threads being blocked. This is not confined to posts since their t&c's changed but everything that I've ever posted using Photobucket. A quick flick through some other threads here have shown that I'm not the only member affected your this.

The question is what am I going to do about this? Well firstly, I have absolutely no intention of paying this exhorbitant ransom demand. I believe that their action may even be illegal in the EU, because you cannot normally apply terms and conditions retrospectively. I'm hoping that the fallout from this, which is already gathering momentum on many forums, will make them back down, as they potentially face losing a good number of subscribers. In the meantime I'll find another photo hosting site and hope they don't get greedy as well.

However, this has, for the moment, devastated this thread. What I had hoped would be a definitive Lancaster build thread, of use to any future builder of Lancs in any scale, has lost much of its interest. A quick flick through some of the pages has shown that some of the images posted by other contributors have survived intact, so all is not lost. I intend to continue to post updates as soon as I can join another photo hosting site. I would hope also to attempt to rebuild the thread but I fear that may be a long term project as I will have to try to identify the relevant images and upload them again, probably from the most recent working back to the earliest - and my filing system is non-existent. I'm very angry about this and equally angry about my earlier Paddy Finucane Spitfire build, that has suffered the same fate.

Prior to my using Photobucket there was a facility on this forum to upload images directly from my computer. Is this facility still available? If it is, is there a link to instructions for uploading as I've forgotten how to do this. I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction.

To end, the build progresses well, but slowly, and I will bring you up to date as soon as I can get myself sorted.

A very frustrated Gerry

Gerry, that is appaling. I am becoming increasingly negative about the internet, it is proving thae old saying that there is no such thing as a free lunch. I am finding it more in service providers content providers even banks if you dont constantly check they change free services to a subscription/ direct debit.

I'm not surprised you're angry Gerry !
It's fairly straightforward to upload direct to the forum.
First, ensure your images are resized to no larger than around 800 x 600 pxls.
Once that's done, leave three spaces after the last line of typed text.
Next, click on the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom right of each forum page entry, choose the re-sized image(s) from your files, click on each one separately, or if they're consecutive, 'sweep' along the 'line' of images with the mouse, and then click on 'Open' at the bottom of the selection 'page'.
A maximum of 10 images can be uploaded at any one time.
Allow each image to load (you'll be able to see them appearing as 'thumbnails', with the image title, below the text.).
If you want them to appear as the fully re-sized image, then click on the relevant button at the top of the column of 'thumbnails', and allow the first image to appear, or possibly partly appear.
Then click on 'Post Reply', and it's done.

Very frustrating Gerry. I don't use third party hosting providers for anything other than backup for this very reason. I have all my images backed up in the cloud (Google Drive in my case), but since external hard drives (eg 2 Tb) are so cheap now I keep a local copy of everything and use the process Terry has described above to upload images directly from my computer.

Thanks pbehn, Turbo and Terry for your sympathetic comments. Terry, thanks for that update on posting directly to the forum. Glad to see it's still available.

Gerry

Long time members here are a bit spoiled I suppose, this is the only forum I belong to that allows direct uploads. But there is no excuse for how PhotoBucket treated it's members. I have no issue with their changing their terms of service, but I have a huge issue with how they implemented the change. Like others I am truly becoming jaded with the decline of corporate responsibility and accountability and the continued drum beat of customer no service that we see daily. It is actually a surprise when I receive good or even adequate service anymore. And that speaks volumes for our societies decline.

It is a real pity Gerry, and I understand the courage and frustration because I had to live it twice before reaching this forum.
I do not have the time (yet) to be in several forums; ... when I resumed modeling about 6 or 7 years ago, shortly after I started in a Mexican forum with good international coverage and among its recommendations I decided to manage my photographs in Photobucket. I am not very knowledgeable about the system, but this one made me think that it is very sensitive and in two times I lost all the photos of my first 4 threads and gallery, ... it was a long and tedious process (for the renewed taste for my modeling) and The help they gave me to advise me. When it happened to me for the second time, I changed my photo and image program to Infranet64 to upload the photos directly to the forum, but it was a little complicated and took photo by photo ... and that was when I later discovered the ww2aircraft.net forum and I began to know it.
What I can see what happen to you and Photobucket did with the ruthless way of forcing the subscription, as Terry and Robert commented, is the lack of sensitivity and excessive ambition of the "modern" world and its technological advances. Terry's great explanation for posting your photos is very simple (I'm saying I was not familiar and it cost me work at first, but the great support here, made it a thing of the past). Now I have saved my photos on Dropbox, One Drive, Google Drive and everything on an external hard drive. As pbehn and Kirby also comment, you have to find the best way to protect your information.
You have proven to overcome adversity, so slowly you will recover those formidable photos of your Lanc and we will have the pleasure to continue enjoying your work.

(I really hope my English has been clear)

A hug from Mexico. :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back