1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Impressive and extraordinary work Gerry !! :salute:

Those photos of the interior make you want to walk through all that fuselage.
As you say, it really will be a heavy monster. :crazyeyes:
I really want these joints of different pieces to have the force that this beauty requires.

If you can add an object that allows us to have a size reference ... it will be big size !!

Saludos con aprecio amigo! :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

If you can add an object that allows us to have a size reference ... it will be big size !!

Saludos con aprecio amigo! :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Dont you have LEGO (post #1061), I believe ex bomber command airfields are still littered with these large plastic blocks.

Welcome to the forum Pete. I hope you find some help for your build from all the generous contributions to the thread from our forum members and hopefully you'll find some answers to questions you may have, as you progress. Always interested to see progress on another Lanc build and I'm sure that, with your experience of large ship builds, the skills involved there should transfer nicely to this project. Thanks Andy for posting the graphics of the emergency air bottles and thanks again everybody for your continuing contributions to this thread.

I've made a little progress since my last post but, as I decided to fill and sand the rear fuselage before progressing (The right decision!), that took a up a fair bit of my time. The next major part of the build was to join the rear fuselage to the over wing section containing the rest bunk.

Here are the two sections in question.

P1080931_zps9aafcptg.jpg

Although, out of build sequence, I had decided that it would be better to attach the crew cabin to the front of the centre section first, as it seemed that this would be easier do first. Again, the right decision, I think.

The problem here was again the lack of registration points to connect the two sections shown. The instructions just call for a butt join between the two bulkheads using contact adhesive. I knew this wasn't going to work but decided to try it anyway. The problem is that the forward section is very heavy indeed. Even without the two inner engines attached, the two-section front weighs 475g, that's over 1lb. Despite the undercarriage taking some of the strain, I still felt that it wouldn't be strong enough to hold and I was proved right, when after 24 hours curing, it sagged when I took away the Lego jigs I had made to support the sections. So to plan B.

The only way I could think of to support it was to use brass pins that I didn't want to be visible in the exposed interior. I carefully measured the positions for the pins and receiving holes on both bulkheads, A,B,C & D. Three of the pins had to be short so that they didn't protrude fully through the bulkheads but I was lucky with pin D that could be longer as it is concealed under the rest bunk. My main concern was that my measurements mightn't be accurate and I would find it didn't match up properly. But after a test fit it matched perfectly and this time, cyanoacrylate was used to cement it firmly in position, at the correct angle. Of course, I totally forgot to take a photo of the pins, hence the graphic.

At last the Lancaster is able to support itself on its undercarriage.

P1080933_zpstcslff0l.jpg

Before I stuck it together though, I took a couple of shots looking forward as this view is unavailable now that the fuselage sections are completed.

P1080926_zpsyy8ouwjj.jpg

P1080928_zpsndexhye4.jpg

And although I posted this recently, here again is the view looking towards the rear from the rest bunk.

P1080920_zpsic2l6emj.jpg

Now a couple of angles of his section nearly completed. There will be a bit more filling and sanding between the new sections.

P1080934_zpsw6chryj5.jpg

P1080939_zpsg7hmahch.jpg

The dorsal turret fairing has been attached but needs blending into the fuselage with some filler. And I would like to draw Tim and Pete's attention to the Lower longeron 'A'. You may already have spotted this but the instructions neglect to inform you to continue it on from the wing trailing edge to the fuselage join under the dorsal turret. (Or if they do, I've missed it so far).

Finally, for this post, a shot of the underside showing the complete length of the bomb bay. It's a bit dark in there and still needs all the plumbing to be added to the side walls – not to mention the bombs. This is literally going to be a 'Heavy' when it's finished!!

P1080946_zpsd1lw9obx.jpg

I also cut an exit slot 'A' for the flare chute opposite the crew door. This is based on the one on S-Sugar at Hendon.

The only section needed now to complete the fuselage is the nose. Although most of the interior for this is done, the exterior and escape door need to be completed and that's a few issues into the future.

Noseport2_zpsb638bf1a.jpg

Most of the next tranche of work is on the wings, which I've started on. I'll keep you updated as I progress but am away for our main summer break in about a week's time. If I get anything substantial done between now and then I'll post before I go.

Cheers,

Gerry
I really appreciate your clips Garry very helpful in my build, I up to issue 69 and the fiddly bits are driving me mad I use watchmakers glasses to get some parts together and still get it wrong. However still enjoyable overall. As mentioned before I have a kit and a half so have some spare parts available if its of any help to anyone, sorry both the rear gunner turrets are broken. I will post some photos soon.

Well Lads, I'm back from a summer break and am slowly picking up the threads of this build again. At the moment I'm still filling and sanding the fuselage but also trying to make progress on other aspects of the build. I'm working on issue 111 currently (out of 125) and the next number of issues consists mainly of skinning and preparing the outer wings for attaching to the inner wings.

But, back to the elements of issue 111 that I've been working on. There were two simple tasks left in this issue, attaching aileron hinges to the port wing and building the parachute escape hatch door in the nose section. There are errors in the instructions for positioning the aileron hinges that I would like to highlight for the benefit of Tim and Cranky Pete who might benefit from this heads-up.

These are the hinges on the port wing of the BBMF Lancaster. It's about the best reference I have for them on an actual Lanc.

dfae47dc-6f91-4d74-955c-f8a4f42a7af8.jpg

The hinges start at the outer edge of the aileron and end opposite the centre of the aileron trim tab, directly opposite the aileron servo-tab (not supplied).

Below are the instructions for positioning them on the model.

548f59bf-5afb-4d70-b24d-d627cbe4beef.jpg

The measurements given between the hinges, 48mm, is incorrect and it's only because I test fitted the aileron before I positioned them that I didn't place them in the wrong place. The actual measurements between the hinges should be 40mm only. The next photo, of the hinge installations, should make it clear why.

ea42969b-0677-43d6-be8b-226b5f0fce12.jpg

Here, the distances between the hinges have been adjusted so that the innermost hinge aligns with the centre of the aileron trim tab, as it does on the actual aircraft. If you were to follow the measurements in the instructions, that hinge will be in the position of the strip of masking tape, marked 'X' and the aileron servo-tab, if you choose to add it, won't line up. As you can see the trim tab is positioned off-centre on the aileron. This is correct as shown on schematics for the Lancaster.

The assembly of the door for the parachute escape hatch was more straightforward. Here, the frame is assembled and the inner and outer panels have been cut to size and riveted.

5508a1f9-ac58-4a69-8474-9190bef42472.jpg

The walls of the frame are curved to match the curves of the floor of the nose section. Here plenty of clamping was applied to ensure that the skins adhered to the shape of the curves. I should emphasize that these are mini pegs! I forgot to place a scale object in when taking the photos but the size of the hatch is 24mm X 16mm, with a depth between interior and exterior panels of 4mm.

ebb94bdd-821d-4740-89ff-db1293b2992b.jpg

Here an undercoat and a topcoat of black have been sprayed. I made the decision to add the exterior panel after the hatch is installed. Test fits have shown that, even with sanding, it's going to be a very tight fit and once installed will be very difficult to remove. It will be easier to add the outer panel when the hatch is in position.

77f61f22-9aa4-4b84-a915-12d21c2402f3.jpg

Finally, I'm hoping to detail the inside of the hatch as in the next photo.

c05aca3e-4e12-4c5a-9e4a-f29ef4bf14ee.jpg

This will entail creating and printing some stencil decals and adding the release mechanism, probably after the hatch is fitted.

That's as far as I've got. I'll keep posting as I make some interesting visual advancements. At the moment there are lots of simple build additions to be made which are not very exciting.

Gerry

Last edited:
Nice work Gerry, and a great help for those building this model.
Here's another pic of the bomb aimer's compartment, this one being the BBMF Lanc. Not very helpful for the escape hatch, it being covered by the padded cushion, but some of the other detail might be useful.

2011-04-11_13.JPG

Thanks Terry for posting the reference and to all who posted. The reference, as always, is useful, although the window in the floor of the nose in the one I'm building is the narrow slit type rather than the oval as shown.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Thanks Wayne and Darryl. Good to see you're still following the build.

To keep the thread ticking over, I can show some progress I've made by adding the trailing edge with the split flap (A) to the port inner wing.

e45331bf-14ad-4080-bb24-e8f9a75d0785.jpg

The instructions call for butt joins, with Superglue, to the rear spar and to the fuselage. Again, I felt that it would need the added support of pins. Because of the configuration, the section needed to be attached to the fuselage pin first and then the wing pins would need to be added when it was in position. Lots of measuring and test fits later, the section was first anchored to the fuselage pin. Fortunately the main fuel tank, in front of the spar, is still removable so I was able to drill the holes in the spar. When the trailing edge was positioned against the spar I was able to drill through from the fuel tank position and push through the pins from the front. Very thin, runny Superglue was then used and capillary action secured the trailing edge to the spar

Finally, in position in the photo, below.

9f6001cf-2b35-4fd0-b87f-cb8296103fea.jpg

The next task was to add some supports to the port inner wing to enable the joining of the outer wing at the correct dihedral.

f9bc6c62-9404-4086-90a3-5164fd8f5825.jpg

This entailed adding brackets around the protruding edge of both front and rear spars. In the photo, three brackets have been added, with the fourth still to be added to the front spar (B). The idea here is that the corresponding angled spars on the outer wing slot between the brackets at the correct dihedral. This and the rear rib extension (C), added to allow for small lengths of stringers to strengthen the join, are all that's supposed to hold the two sections of wing together. I'm very dubious about whether this will be strong enough and really think that two pins will need to be added in the positions marked (X). This will be tricky as the gap between the wing sections is only 4-5mm when joined. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to accurately position the pins to hold it and ensure the correct dihedral.

Here the additions to the inner wing have been completed.

ed2d5299-d57b-482c-b98e-754164a0078b.jpg

Further rib extensions have been added to the wing (A). All four brackets now enclose the spars (B). I'm not sure if some of the same work needs doing to the outer wing. The skinning of the port wingtip needs completing and there will be filling and sanding required before the wing sections are joined. I'll post again when I make some more progress.

Gerry

Last edited:
It is a good advance Gary, it is quite what you have done, but it is less what remains to be done !!
I continue to enjoy and learn from the process ...

Saludos amigo :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back