1/32 Spitfire Mk.22

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
I've always been curious about the Mk. 22/24 line and although there arn't very many options in who flew it I'm on the fence about choosing either the South Rhodesian mount or one of the profiles from the decal sheet.

The kit is a 1/32 scale Spitfire Mark 22. or 24. (your choice) from Revell, its pretty nice (I beleive its a re-boxing of airfix, matchbox or something) has a nice engine (this one actually looks somewhat to form) I've heard good stories and bad about this one, so I'll be taking it slow (therefore not entering her in a GB

What seems like a major problem is the fit of this beast. Some say good fit, some say bad, and the fact that there arn't very many after market parts for her (unless there are some parts interchangable for a certain Spitfire mark that I'm not aware of, like Mark V. Cockpits fitting that someone knows ? :S I'll most likeley scratch build some items for her

On to a pic of the kit's top:
(If I can get photobucket to work!)

Since I've only been able to upload a this pic of a South Rhodesian aircraft, not my pic, taken from wings palette, I'll leave it here for now before starting on this model:

As usual I'm still pluging away on how to remove scratches from a canopy, so far polishing has pretty decent result but its still not where everyone claims it as "clear" still some dots here and there, I may have to bug you guys for a guide or something because I've spent 8 hours on the canopy of this P-51 (a spare for practicing that I have) and it still isn't anywhere near mint, it is better than it used to be, but I still get the indication of a couple scratches on the glass. I want to try the method out on a spare first, then clean up the Spit's canopy (because its a bad sight straight out of the box and scratched significantly)

Last edited:
The one I built several years ago had a horrible fit.
The wing filet-fuselage-wing join was bad and I remember a lot of issues on the underside at the back of the lower wing too. The biggest problem was the horribly warped nose.

I warmed it up and fixed it as straight as I could using the engine cowlings and various bits of plastic. This meant that I didn't fit the engine. The cowlings became structural and irremoveable.

I reckon it looks a lot like a Spitfire in the end.

Great pics thanks Stona your Spitfire looks amazing , I'm planing on making it with the engine showing (hopefully its possible) so I hope I don't run into too many problems with her. From the instructions it looks like they did cut a couple corners on the overall design (we have to put most of the plane together ourselves! ) which with some Revell kits can be a nightmare.

Yes, it's the Matchbox kit, from the early 1970's. The fit then was reasonable, but many of the parts are rather 'Chunky', especially detail parts such as the cockpit fittings. I agree with Steve re the fit of the wing and wing root fillets - terrible. The engine cowls are best left off to display the engine, but if you want them on, then glue them in place, fill the joints, and re-scribe.
I built this one again, a couple of years ago - as a wreck on a fire practice dump! The hulk was used for this model, and other major parts used to convert a Hasegawa MkV into a MkXIV (high back).
I would shy away from a silver or natural metal finish (though very few, if any, were actually bare metal), as this will show up the bad points. There was only one squadron in the RAF which used this Mark, 80 Sqn, the remainder in British service being with squadrons of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force.

Good luck with the build, Igor. You seem to be giving yourself a bit of a challenge with this one and I'm looking forward to see how it progresses. I built the old 1/32 Matchbox Bf 109E on Start to Finish builds a couple of years ago and with the addition of a cockpit set and some scratch building it turned out rather well and a nice kit to build. In fact, I was persuaded by my son to enter in in the recent IPMS Ireland Nationals held at Shannon (My Finucane Spitfire wasn't going to to be ready). To my amazement it picked up a silver in its category, so don't knock Matchbox!

Cheers,

Gerry

For their time, the 1/32nd scale Matchbox kits were excellent. There were very few kits in this scale back then, and Matchbox opened a whole new world. The range of kits were good, and the BF109E was far superior to the Hasegawa kit, the only one around then, and still available now but at a ridiculous rip off price for such an old, in accurate kit. The Spit was possibly not as good as some of the other kits, but made into a nice model, especially if some parts were replaced with scratch-built items. With care and attention, it can still be a nice model, but it will need a lot of attention.
It must be remembered that Revell acquired these moulds, which are forty years old, so some degradation of parts is to be expected. The method of packaging probably doesn't help either.

I know how good and bad a old kit can be, and the only time I've placed in IPMS competitions is when I've won with a old mathbox or Otaki kit(2 and 3s, 1st still eludes me ) but I'm really amazed at the kit, as Airframes has said, its very detailed, even today you can't really find any kits that have this much in them, its almost on par with the Tamiya 1/32 IXc I have in my stockpile excepet there a lot of stuff that'll have to be sanded a bit, I kind of can't wait for the wing roots since that'll mark almost the end of the sanding hehe, almost, but so far just a small update, I've started to assemble the engine and all the small parts, I've looked at the cockpit and I've done a base coat of color, I'll have that in a short update.

The Tail is missing the "hook section" I'll make that out of plasticard later and explain in a bit more detail.

For the engine itself, since it'll be visible I'll try and spruce up this Griffon to the maximum possible, I have a couple photos of one of the engines one group restored to flying condition and I'll be using that under refrences a lot. Its challenging to find Griffon engine shots for the Spit but without the restoration I'd be left with minimal if anything to go from .

You'll find that many of the cockpit parts are way over scale, especially the seat and it's adjuster and frame, and the cockpit door and windscreen could really do with replacing. I might have some pics of Griffons I took on a project with the BBMF in the 80's, if they'll scan from slides - meanwhile here are a couple taken at Duxford; not brilliant, but might help.

Attachments

• Duxford May 2011 091.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Duxford May 2011 098.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 302
He He! I've just found the left-over parts from the kit, and out of curiosity, sifted through them. The pilot figure has the parachute harness back to front, and the 'Mae West' life jacket over the harness at the front! Nothing which is of major concern, if using the figure, as easily corrected - but it made me giggle!!

He also comes in 2 pieces heheh, no I don't usually use the pilot

Were the pics I posted of the Griffon engine any use? I've checked those I have on transparencies, and I don't think they'll be much help - the best ones show the engines (taken from a Shackleton) on servicing stands, without any ancillary equipment or 'plumbing'. I'll check my other pics, and all my Spitfire books though, as I have a feeling there is a good one somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread