1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII ‘Bobby’ Gibbs - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There WILL be some added just as soon as I figure out what goes where without interfrence with other stuff, thanks mate!

Any time Wayne I might pick your brain later since I have a Spitfire MkIxc 1/32 from Tamiya (one of the first orders into Canada when it came out ) in the stash that I'll do engine work on

Unfortunatley I'll probobly not sand the canopy even if there is some plastic line in the middle of the thing(cause I still can't figure out removing scratches )

I can't wait for the rest of the build shots

P.S. for your interior green is it the IJN Cockpit Green from Tamiya?

cheers mate, Yes Tamiya XF-71

It's looking great Wayne! Those main pipes from the front, overhead coolant tank were copper, but you'll see all this in the pics I send (by e-mail). In addition, if you can wait for Air Mail, I'll also send two or three very good books on a CD (too big to e-mail), which cover all the Spits in detail, including good colour photos and diagrams/drawings of engines, cockpits, internals etc, showing the detail differences.
Let me know please, and I can get the disk burned and sent by weekend.
The Tamiya paint number explains the shade I queried - not quite the right tone, but close enough when all buttoned up.

Cheers Terry, that would be great.
Looking at different images pipes, wires etc are showing in differing colours on some aircraft especially those coolant pipes! At least I can paint them the right colour now!
Just about every build reference uses the tamiya colour, which is close so i went with the flow....

Yes, there can often be variations, more so on currently airworthy preserved aircraft, mainly due to various aviation and safety regulations, governing materials, as can be expected. And of course, with these aircraft, many have a different series Merlin to that which would have been fitted in WW2, with Packard Merlins being more readily available today (or used to be that way).
Period photos, as you know, can also be misleading, due to variations in processing, copying and so on, but most of the major plumbing for fluids remained in the same materials per engine series.
I'll get the photos e-mailed today (Saturday) - the two colour shots are scanned from my 35mm slides, on a 'home' slide scanner, so resolution is not as good as the original slide, but good enough for your needs. The wartime shot is B&W, in a magazine, and I'll scan that at best settings. I should have the disk in the mail on Monday, with at least four books - one specifically on the MkV, the others covering the whole series of Marks.

Look'in good Wayne!My thoughts went to the color of the pipes upon first sight for I did mine in brass/copper state but some of that going back to the merlin in the Stang but I did see some like that in the Spit also.I am sure you will get it sorted out looks there was a quandry of setups probably some coming from field repairs?

Wayne, first off, I'm sorry I missed this thread, been busy on my builds and I don't multitask well at all. Second..........DAMN!!!!!!! This thing's lookin' real! STUPENDOUS WORK SIR!!!! Third..... you keep pushing the rest of us to do better!!! Thanks,........I think.

Users who are viewing this thread