1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 1" Manfred Dieterle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With the canopy restraint installed and the drop tank dirtied up, I'm calling this one done. My thanks to everyone who followed, commented, and contributed to my learnings. Special shout out to Wayne and Simon for their advice on the camo scheme application, the results of which I'm pretty happy with. One reason I did this project was to enter it in the September Alberta Military Modeler's Show, which always has a category dedicated to night fighters. Hopefully this one will stack up to the competition. Here are some "parting shots".

Jan, I prefer YOU build that in 1/48. I'll cheer you on Maybe I'll do that one after I finish my F-4, G-14, and K-4. And those will be mixed in amongst my 3 Spitfires, 2 Hurricanes, 2 Mustangs, a Tiffie, a Tempest,........so maybe GB 73 in 2024.

The rest of you, thanks!

Cory, it would be great if you came down again. Note that this year it is at a Legion branch in the northeast and I'm not sure if there's a Montreal smoked meat sandwich place near there though!

Top notch, Andy, top notch. Love it! I also think your choice of colors works very well. And it's a 109, so it gets my vote right there.

To give credit where it's due, I learned that pastel technique from Bruce Squair, IPMS Edmonton. His finishes are exclusively pastel powder, and he was getting results 20 years ago that we're seeing from airbrushing today: the whole 'dual diffusion' and 'preshading' effects and such. In fact, a lot of those guys were ahead of their time. Thanks to them I was washing, pre- and post-shading in the late 90s, before the internet explosion, and the IPMS Edmonton guys had been using these techniques for a long time prior to that. I still think the armor guys were way ahead, though.

What's this about a September Military Modelers' Show (glances at calendar and rubs hands with glee)?

Jan, that be the one. I'm doing this one for GB23.

Simon, cheers. You mentioned Bruce before and I have to admit that I'm not familiar with his work, though I may have seen it without knowing. The show I'm talking about is an annual affair in Calgary. It used to be strictly an armour show but 3 or 4 years ago they opened up to planes and ships. Here's a link and maybe we'll see you there.

Alberta Military Modellers Show

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread