1/48 Cyber Hobby BF-110D, G9+HM, 4./NJG.1, Ofw.Paul Gildner - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm still not sure if I want to actually place the engine in the nacelle or finish it as a kind of seperate little kit (it looks too good to not use it somehow, but I want the aircraft to look more or less ready for action, so imagine an open canopy and gun-bay situation with the men-in-black loading ammo for the MG-17's)

Perhaps I could make it work as a seperate thing with some kind of scratchbuild maintenance stand with the engine placed on it. Sofar I haven't seen photographs as to how this might have looked, but I'm guessing even in field conditions engines would need maintenance sometimes or need replacing after running for so many hours.

I had the same decision problem with my Bf109F. I'll probably end-up using the engine in a diorama with another '109, with the engine either on a work stand, or on a hoist, alongside an aircraft that still has it's engine in place. The idea will be to show either one engine removed and not yet taken away, or one waiting to be changed.
I should have some pics of engines in various states - as a complete pod, and on delivery cradles etc, for '109s, and the '110 would be very similar. Give me a shout if you need them.

Absolutely Vic...I want to make all those details work for this kit as much as possible. Either as integral part of the model or as a seperate thing. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having the engine sitting on a work stand or a hoist of sorts. That way I can finish the model in the wanted 'getting ready to go' stance and keep the engine with it to make it look a little more interesting. Eventually I want to do some kind of ground plate for it too with a small close-up photo of Gildner, a short summary of the mission the machine was involved in. etc. etc. Provided a suitable groundplate can be made an engine sitting on a work stand or hanging in a hoist would add a little extra to the overall setting.

I'll be digging through my recently completed Meyer Stipdonk Zerstoren Nachtjagd series of books. Loads and loads of 110 pic's, so theres bound to be some that show a 110 while undergoing engine maintenance/change to get an idea of how a stand or hoist might have looked.

Engine hoists were standard design, so the same for the '110 as the '109. The legs were adjustable for height, and engines were held on a 'beam', so different types of engines could be hoisted. Ground maintenance stands were similar, and often utilised the base of the packing case.
I have some pics of both, and possibly drawings, in the stuff I mentioned, if you want them.

Beautiful work mate!

How are you off for nose MG's? Got an Aires set going spare if you need it.

@ A4K
The nose MG-17's look very good OOB, but I'd be interested to see how they compare to the Aires parts. Do you happen to have a few close-up pic's of those guns? I tried looking it up on the Aires website, but the MG-17 set doest have pic's to go with it.

@Crimea_River
Thanks for the link man! Excellent pic's Those stands don't look particularly high tech. Shoud be easy so scratchbuild something similar. Looks like nothing more then a few wooden support beams and that's it. A crate of sorts like on those pics could be interesting too.

Attachments

• 23 - MG-17.JPG
    23 - MG-17.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 104
@ Crimea River

A multitool fitted with a small drill-bit might be able to take care of some of those holes in the mounts.

Come tho think of it.....The picture Crimea River put up of the nose section very clearly show a gun camera being installed. Was this installed by default? Although I can't imagine one being installed in a nightfighter as techology at the time probably wouldn't allow for that good nighttime action guncamera footage being filmed and as such it would be left out.

Another thing I was wondering about....on page 3 of this thread you can see the sidewalls of the cockpit. Clearly visible on both sides is some wiring of sorts. Is this in anyway asocciated with fuel, oil or oxygen systems? In other words should this wiring be painted in the colors asocciated with either one of the before mentioned sub-systems?

I'm working my way towards building up the cockpit section with little odds and ends (that have been adressed the past few days in this topic) that need touching up. However before I do so I'd like to know about this wiring as it's still easily fixed with al little drybrushing with the sidewalls not being installed yet. I've looked through my own books about the 110, but apparently these books don't dissect the 110 up to that level. I came across a few diagrams though from which is seemed to me this wiring (at least on the side with the big circuit-breaker box) is mostly part of the electrical systems for the MG-FF guns (and on later versions the schrage-music as well)

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Yes, that picture shows the gun camera but they were not installed on all models. I agree it would likely have been removed on your rig and the glass lens on the nose capped. Can't really help you on the pit wiring question but I'd have gone with a dark gray for all.

Jelmer, sorry, camera batteries are flat again. Will post photos of the Aires MG 17's when recharged. (to be honest, the kit items are just as nice, if not better IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back