1/48 Cyber Hobby BF-110D, G9+HM, 4./NJG.1, Ofw.Paul Gildner - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even though the weather forecast said it was gonna be nice and sunny weather today, it was nothing short of cr*p....so a nice day to get some work done on the interior.

On the previous pages there was some discussion as to what the appropriate colors for an early nightfighter could have been (either RLM02 or RLM66 as basic colors)....no final answer came of that (not to mention the fact that no pic's of the interior of Gildners plane exist to begin with), so I went with the 'what would work best for the model' approach and decided to use RLM02 as the basic interior color as RLM66 would make it a dark void on an already very dark coloured plane. I feel RLM02 gives a little more room to play with shades and picking out the wonderful details that come with this kit. So I sprayed an initial coat of RLM02-ish grey/green. I think it was some Vallejo modelair paint.
13%252520-%252520interior%25252001.jpg

After a quick Vallejo gloss coat on the sidewalls, floor and other major strucural components, the interior parts where on the receiving end of the oil-paint treatment to get some shades and highlights going on these parts.
14%252520-%252520interior%25252002.jpg

Then it was on to picking out all the details in some appropriate colors.
15%252520-%252520interior%25252003.jpg

16%252520-%252520interior%25252004.jpg

17%252520-%252520interior%25252005.jpg

18%252520-%252520interior%25252006.jpg

19%252520-%252520interior%25252007.jpg

Instrument panel is all but done. I want to touch the gauges up with a little future to give them a glass-like look.
20%252520-%252520interior%25252008.jpg

The interior is nowhere near being done. All the seats still need to be finished. Cannons and magazines need work as well as the MG out back and all the extra ammo that goes with it.

Then there's an insert part that goes in on top of this tub-like conststruction that holds yet more equipment and this typical kind of cage. I will leave this un assembled for a now because somewhere on zhe interweb I've found an in progress buildreport of this kit that shows this part may have some minor fit issues and needs to be thinned and widened a bit (likely by means of some small plastic strip on the sides or something) While that isn't exactly micro-surgery and in itself is a piece of cake really, it helps to keep that upper piece unassembled for now as all the small pars that go on it would probably be knocked off during the cutting/sanding of this part.

Sofar the instructions that come with this kit are a little confusing sometimes. Rather strange color call-outs suggesting I mix all kinds of Gunze paint together to get a color they already have right out of a jar :rolleyes: As far as parts and sub-assemblies go...this is also confusing sometimes...way too much instructions crammed on one page and sometimes flat out stupid instructions as to where to glue these sub-assemblies in place. To compare the two, this Cyberhobby kit has the building instructions spread over 6 pages, whereas and Eduard Weekend Edition of the G4 nightfighter is spread over 12 pages. By now I've turned to to keeping the Eduard instructions (I downloaded them from their website) at hand for certain color call-outs that make some more sense, and also to get a better clue as to where certain parts and sub-assemblies should go.

All in all, still a good ways off to closing the fuselage, but it's well underway and I feel the interior is coming along nicely. Apart from some sketchy and sometime flat out silly instructions and paint call-outs it's been a joy to work on this kit sofar.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll look into doing the compressed air bottles in a tad darker shade of blue. Seems rather bright to me now. The straps around these bottles also need to be touched up with a little bead of RLM02.

That's some very neat modelling Jelmer and yes the RLM02 loos very much like Vallejo Air 71.044.

Thanks Vic,

[...]and yes the RLM02 loos very much like Vallejo Air 71.044.

And yeah...that's the one I used. I use so many different brands of paint I sometimes loose track what I've used for a certain project :oops:

Last edited:
Just had another look, and I think the air bottles are for the guns, not part of the crew oxygen system. If they are, then they would be black, being CO2.
The oxygen system was filled from an exterior valve on the fuselage side, and fed via the circular regulators, which were blue.
Cannons were fired by an electro-pneumatic system, hence the CO2 bottles near the breech of each weapon.

Just had another look, and I think the air bottles are for the guns, not part of the crew oxygen system. If they are, then they would be black, being CO2.
The oxygen system was filled from an exterior valve on the fuselage side, and fed via the circular regulators, which were blue.
Cannons were fired by an electro-pneumatic system, hence the CO2 bottles near the breech of each weapon.

You're absolutely right Airframes. These these are (according to AeroDetail 21 - BF-110) indeed compressed air bottles that are somehow accociated with the MG-FF Guns underneath. Some fellow builders on a Dutch forum noticed the same thing. They suggested (backed by some pics of similar compressed air bottles) it be at least paint in a much darker blue, almost black/purple like color. I've just carefully removed the bottles and stripped the paint. They will get a more appropriate color very soon. (The Eduard instructions seem to suggest Gunze H5 blue (a rather dark blue/purple like color) I bett the Germans wouldn't want to mix up oxygen bottles with compressed air bottles...that might lead to some funky reaction both ways ;)

Come to think of it, this seems to be a rather commonly made mistake. I've seen countless builds sofar that do have it in this bright light blue color (accociated with Oxygen systems I think)

Last edited:
Yes, I remember seeing a bottle recovered from a wreck some years ago. As memory serves, it did have a purpleish tinge to it, looking almost black. Of course, this could have been the effect of age and weathering, having been in the ground for so many years, but a very dark blue or even black would suffice in this scale I think.

The similar bottles I've seen are from ME-262 "White 2" W.Nr. 500071 at the Deutches Museum (a fairly complete and unscaved example I believe). They're part of the emergency landing gear lowering mechanism. I think some dark blue with some very dark grey mixed in would work, with the straps in RLM02.

Last edited:
A little additional work has been done on the 110.

First I wanted to take on one of the wonderfully detailed DB-601 engines. It's really a small kit in it's own right. With the dodgy color call-outs on the CyberHobby instructions I need to seriously look into getting the colors right for the engine. I feel I know a fair bit about a/c in general, but I literaly know doodly-squat about engines and such. The basic engine block is glued together. Still loads of small bits and pieces to be put on, but with the paintjob around the corner I figured it would be best to keep those seperate as much a possible for now.

A little dryfitting of the fuselage seems like a good thing too. In general the fit of these parts seems to be very good.

Attachments

• 22 - DB-601 engine.JPG
    22 - DB-601 engine.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 21 - romp dryfit.JPG
    21 - romp dryfit.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back