<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Do 335 - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Have to agree though, lots of metal showing and the scissors are almost flat. Anyhoo.......other builds have mentioned the awful fit of the clear parts so I was was just playing around with the windscreen/canopy fit and they won't. The windscreen I can deal with as there is just a smallish gap on the left front corner that can be filled. If the canopy sits on the rails, there is about a 1mm gap to the top of the fuselage. If I add plastic strip to the rails and get a flush fit with the fuselage top the gap will be transferred to the front. Fortunately the canopy pivots to right when opened so opened it will be

Right.....back to this one. Canopies are taped and the first coat of RLM66 applied.

005.JPG

Good stuff Geo, and I'll admit, I hadn't really seen much of the aircraft and the nose leg. I presume the extended oleo is to deal with the weight of the front engine, allowing compression of the strut over bumps, without shock-loading the leg.

Thanks guys. First coat of shiny on the top side....

004.JPG

....over-all, pretty happy with my first NMF. No seams showing on the spine though to be honest I only had to deal with about 3". A couple of places will have to be dealt with along one wing leading edge and around the left wing tip. I'll let this set up a bit more then spray the bottom

Thanks all. Corrections made and the bottom has been sprayed. I'll let its set up, check it over for possible touch-ups and then dirty up the beast. I've got some Tamiya Titanium silver to darken up some panels etc. and some Smoke for exhaust stains (never done this) and for general dirtiness

Sounds good. If you are planning on using the airbrush for the exhaust stains, here's what I do.

1) Mix up a thin batch of dark brown.
2) Test the spray pattern on scrap to make sure you have a nice, tight patter
3) Point the brush just behind the last exhaust stub and start spraying fairly close to the model. Then turn your wrist down the airstream direction and move away from the model while sweeping the brush back while you spray, Repeat until you get the pattern you desire. (A good look at reference pics is recommended as smoke pattern varied a lot. There are quite a few examples of late LW aircraft with pretty heavy staining, possibly from lousy fuel and almost certainly from lack of time to clean the smoke away).
4) Then mix up a thin mix of black or very dark grey and repeat the above steps.

I highly recommend that you practice this a bit before trying it on the model. Here's how this method came out on my recent Spit:

16092201.jpg

And my FW190D-9, which had some very heavy stains as verified by pics:

12123105.jpg

Good luck!

Just what I was looking for Andy, thanks and thank you Robert. First attempt at dirtying up an aircraft with an airbrush and my first run with Tamiya Smoke and when I say run I mean as in runny paint. Rule #1 with Tamiya Smoke...do not dilute. I did the usual mix with paint/thinner and it came out like a fire hose. With the Aztec, I push the trigger all the way down and then slowly draw it back, this way, depending on speed and distance I can make a line just over 1mm wide or a mottle about 3mmish in diameter. With the Smoke I ran it straight and then slowly built it up. Not perfect but I can live with it. The dark blob on the left wing is where the fuel cap is....I think. I many tone it back though it doesn't look as bad in real life.

009.JPG

I might put some camo colors on before catching the camp bus tomorrow. Any suggestions here are more than welcome

It's looking goo Geo.
I agree about the Tamiya 'Smoke' - got a real surprise when I first tried it out. It's good for some staining, but I think it might be designed for making 'smoked glass' windows etc, on car models and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back