<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Do 335 - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Weird that, Andy. When I diluted about the normal Tamiya suggest way; 2-1, it came out like water. Could they be using a lower air pressure, mine is close 18- 20psi. Also with your exhaust staining, were you using a lower pressure with thinned paint?

Roger that Andy. Just finished dirtying up the bottom, again using the Smoke a full strength, again taking about 3-5 passes to build it up, again no problems. C'est la vie. Done for another week, camp bus in 4hrs. Adding a little flavor to the trip this week. SWMBO is on her way to Quesnel as I type so yours truly is walking 1km to the bus stop...in -21°C. WC -32°C. Have a good week gentlemen

Great work Geo! What Terry said about Tamiya Smoke sounds about right to me. It behaves like one of their "clear" colors and I can't imagine thinning that stuff at 1:10 ratio. I rarely use it. Instead, I use normal Tamiya colors thinned at about 1:8 for exhaust staining.

That walk sounds bl**dy cold !
Something I've used for exhaust staining, which works very well if you have a clear access to the area to be stained, without obstructions such as lumps and bumps, is a ladies eye-liner pencil, or a 'Chinagraph' marking pencil.
Draw a light line representing the staining, and then smudge it with a fingertip, spreading it back along the flow line. Further applications can make the staining heavier if required.
These pencils are available in different colours, with the black and various browns being useful. However, depending on aircraft type, the fuel used, and the engine settings etc, exhaust staining could range from whitish grey, through blue-grey, to light brown and almost pink !
Here's an example of the 'pencil' staining.

Harvard Build 189.jpg
Harvard Build 190.jpg

Im interested in your comments about Tamiya smoke as this is exactly what ive found as well. I am tossing up using it for exhaust stains in the RE 2000 I'm just finishing. Andy's application technique is worth having a closer look I think.

Temporarily on it's feet, just to see. I sprayed some darker aluminum on the ailerons and elevators but its hard to tell in the photo

014.JPG

Painting the camo on the nose and tail in a bit....

Nice! I imagine the gear boxes must have been front and rear for the prop shafts! I wonder how well it flew if it had a front propellor issue? As I was looking at it I was trying to imagine how it was all kept in sync. For instance what if it had a runaway on just one prop? Is that even possible in that configuration?

Thanks gents. Any ideas as to what this is...

Untitled.jpg

....doesn't really match the official camo pattern and the one on the left wing is identical. Waiting for the first camo color to cure and then will spray on the second

Users who are viewing this thread

Back