1/48 Grumman J2F Duck

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wolfman_63

Airman 1st Class
Jan 20, 2014
Schaumburg IL
Starting on the Glenco 1/48 scale J2F Duck. This is an older kit and does not have the level of details that newer kits have. The Duck is a Grumman built amphibious aircraft that was primarily used for search and rescue. It is unique from other single engine float planes in that the main float and fuselage are designed together. This allows room for more crew members. The scheme that I will be doing is the Marine version that was stationed in the Virgin Islands.

All of the interior details will be scratch built using styrene stock and remnants of many photo etch extras I have. I located some build photos from Grumman use as a guide for the interior. I started with getting the cockpit area roughed in. The cockpit floor and the rear bulkhead will serve as my reference point. Working on the Radio/Gunner position at the rear of the cockpit now. More photos in my build log at 1/48 J2F Duck

dsc04172.jpg

dsc04174.jpg

It seems that it will be an entertaining and interesting project.
These old kits offer us many possibilities to improve them, devise alternatives and improve our skills and techniques.

What is the correct name of the piece with metallic bristles that appears below to the left of your last photo? It makes me an ideal tool to copy shapes and contours to reproduce pieces.

I will be attentive to what follows.

Saludos :thumbup:

It seems that it will be an entertaining and interesting project.
These old kits offer us many possibilities to improve them, devise alternatives and improve our skills and techniques.

What is the correct name of the piece with metallic bristles that appears below to the left of your last photo? It makes me an ideal tool to copy shapes and contours to reproduce pieces.

I will be attentive to what follows.

Saludos :thumbup:

It is a contour gauge. I have had this one for years. You can get them on Amazon for about $11
Amazon product ASIN B00004T7RAView: https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Contour-Duplicator-6-Inch/dp/B00004T7RA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526662962&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=contour+gauge&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This should be an interesting build, looking good so far. The J2F always reminds me of the old movie Murphy's War, in which a shipwrecked sailor patches up such a plane to use in revenge on the u-boat that sank his ship, and believes is now hiding out up the river from where he is marooned. Very nice footage of the plane in action. :)

The work continues on the interior of the J2F duck. The interior and landing gear are basically installed. Have many more details to add. I drilled out the exhaust pipes to look more realistic. I did watch "Murphy's War" last night while working on it. Grabbed some screen shots for details of the engine area. Many scenes of the engine without the cowl provided some nice references. All the build photos can be seen at 1/48 J2F Duck

dsc04178.jpg

dsc04180.jpg

Looking really nice, I am enjoying your build wolfman! Just an FYI, I saw on the newsstand today that the current issue (June 2018) of Warbirds International features a restored and flying J2F.

Cold and cloudy with scattered rain means I was able to spend the afternoon adding more details to the J2F. Made the rear gun mount, found better wheels in my stash box, and added details to the interior. Need to make the dash for the pilot next.

dsc04182.jpg

dsc04187.jpg

I spent last evening scratch building the dash for the J2F Duck. While doing it I took photos to add a brief tutorial on my blog. The dash looks great. I am getting closer to putting the fuselage together. I need to do some minor modifications to the fuselage then some assembly and filling. The tutorial is at Making a cockpit dash from scratch.

All the build photos are at 1/48 J2F Duck

The photo below shows the original kit dash on the left, then the photo of the actual dash resized, then the decal and on the right is the final dash.

dsc04196.jpg

Here is the photo of it installed.

dsc04198.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back