1/48 Heinkel He-111

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So far so good. Good luck!

You might want to consider reinforcing the joint on the inside by gluing a strip of styrene over the seam. The strips won't look very nice if you are trying to preserve internal detail but there will be a lot of pressure when you sand the clear plastic.

I agree.
Not much will be seen through these windows anyway, and, to be accurate, the bomb cell walls should be visible.
In their 'original' form, these windows would have either been painted over externally, or would have had 'solid' panels. For whatever reason, when trialed by the RAF, the windows have been made transparent (unless the'solid' panels were removed at some point).

Thanks W, Andy and Terry, your opinions are very important to me.

It is a good point to make the smallest hole, however, I did it 1 cm. height because the windows I made, measure 0.7 cm. practically!. :wideyed:

Taking into account that in the lower part I have very close the base of the wing root (almost 2 mm - 0.2 cm. -) and it is the first time I try something like this, so avoiding having any difficulty with the glue or at the time of sanding and polishing, I thought to leave a little more margin at the top of the windows, but it really is little space.

It is likely that depending on how I see the resistance offered by the glue in the union of the two pieces, do or not "internal ribs" of the structure (considering your comment Andy).

113.jpg

What do you think?

I am working only on the windows on the left side, I have not made the cut on the starboard, waiting to see my results in the port first.

I'm going to leave but I'll be on my cell phone and I hope to work on this later in the evening.
Saludos :thumbup:

Hello people!

When I applied the black for my project of the dials, I took the opportunity to paint the rims, propellers and the dorsal gun, the only machine gun that our AW177 has, yesterday I applied the black XF-69 to the tires.

View attachment 519611

... and so will these pieces remain until I can get out of what awaits me with the inside of the entire fuselage !!

The process of the IPs was slow ... I applied the RLM66 to all the pieces. I must confess that I did not stay with the desire and I lowered the dark tone with a 30% light gray XF-66 and it is not very noticeable, but I like that you can perceive a certain difference with the tone of everything else inside.

I removed the liquid masks from the dials and painted the outline of each dial by hand, with a sharp toothpick, an acupuncture needle or a 10/0 brush, depending on the size of the dial. Then apply droplets of clear X-22 with other sharp toothpick.

Then I colored the "balls" of the cranks and painted the other buttons and bases of the console and IPs.

Another occurrence that I had was that, instead of applying a dark gray or black to the frames of each dial, as well as the back of each of those that will be visible behind the IP, I used black green XF-27 ( it pleased as it was already looks at the distance, and in those miniatures, ...it will be practically irrelevant) and finally the wiring in light gray. The last thing was to apply a wash with oil paints.

This is the result in photographs ...

View attachment 519612View attachment 519613View attachment 519614View attachment 519615View attachment 519616View attachment 519617

:-k
Well, it seems that it is time to address the issue of the bomb bay windows, :oops: ... I have some uncertainty and enthusiasm combined in a strange feeling, but I hope to get a good learning of this new adventure in my modelism skills. :confused:

Absolutely amazing work !

In this time,I just have to cut out one piece from the CD box, and one from acrylic at first, to start with files and sandpaper.
Taking care not to touch the measurement that demarcates the tape.

The final size of each transparent piece was slightly larger than the hollow in the fuselage. It is better to reduce the transparent piece with sandpaper than to enlarge the hollow of the fuselage.
Little by little I was doing different tests as I was sanding the piece, to get the most accurate size possible.

114.jpg
115.jpg

Assembled very well, however the thickness of the piece does not give much room to file, sand and polish the external part.
The center of the new piece, also does not give margin to give the form that has the slight curvature of the fuselage in that part of the aircraft. [-(

In the case of the acrylic piece, I show you that small difference compared to the hole ...

116.jpg
117.jpg

After sanding and testing, sand and continue testing, adjusted the piece in the same hole on the left side of the fuselage ...

118.jpg
119.jpg

I am almost certain that this transparent piece of acrylic will be the option I will use for the windows of our AW177. :thumbup:

On the external part of the fuserlaje, the acrylic piece gives me a surplus necessary and sufficient to be able to file and sand according to the natural contour of the port.

120.jpg
121.jpg

In the internal part of the fuselage it allows me to have more area to apply the glue (I already have an idea for those ribs we talked about in Terry's post # 165 :idea:)

122.jpg
123.jpg

At this time I will apply the glue (I will decide on the Tamiya cement white cap), I will let it dry until another day, while I start doing the same with the starboard, but now I will only work on the transparent part of acrylic.

Thanks for your visits and comments. Keep in touch. :thumbup:

That´s right Andy, I'll be aware of the result.
I already applied the TC to the left side.
It was faster to finish with the right fuselage and its transparent piece.
At this moment both pieces rest, ... to see what news the glue offers us tomorrow.

I could hardly take the time to continue with this surgery!

I made a very approximate layout to give me an idea of the location of the next windows. This I did to give me an idea of the spaces I have to work, without altering or hurting the glass area of the windows.

131.jpg

Later I will take care of the most precise measures to which these windows should be.

A few days ago I applied Mr.Surfacer 500 to the contours of the transparent pieces on both sides, to give a first fill of the joints, in addition to recovering a bit of plastic that I bit in my first unsuccessful attempt.

At the bottom of the transparent pieces, I must make a "lower" (I do not know what the correct word is, synonyms for lessen, reduce, bring down ...), to be able to place the styrene pieces that will help to reinforce the piece to the fuselage.

132.jpg
133.jpg
134.jpg

The same but with less depth on top ... (Btw, I used Tamiya ETC)

135.jpg

This is how the two reinforcements look ...

136.jpg
137.jpg

And the same thing I did for the port side ...

138.jpg

This is the work inside both sides of the fuselage.

139.jpg
140.jpg

In a moment I will apply CA to reinforce even more and have more confidence (without abusing or exaggerating) when it comes to working on the outside and "reduce" the surplus acrylic with respect to the fuselage.

But that will possibly be tomorrow. (I hope)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back