1/48 JU-87D ( Revell)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From the few books I have read, some of the late war winter camo was white applied over RLM 71 or RLM 74. I chose white over RLM 74. The RLM 74 was applied first then the white was applied over it. Not sure why you think the I painted white first.

Of course I could get a wrong impression while loooking at the pic above. But it looked like you did that in the way really. Also the Ju-87 you want to make isn't marked as the D variant of the dive bomber . The plane showed in the profile above was Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel's mount and was of the G version. As memo serves it was the Ju-87G-2 Werk Nummer 494193. The kite was wearing the standard splinter camo of RLM70/71/65 with white spots overpainting. Here a few shots of the bomber without the white "uniform.

ju87g_rudel_1.jpg

ju87g_rudel_2.jpg

ju87g_rudel_3.jpg

ju87g_rudel_4.jpg

KANONEN2.jpg

and seen partially with the winter camo..

11-rudel-winter-1_imagesia-com_6n46_large.jpg

Last edited:
I know the picture I posted was of the G. It was the only one online I could find with the scheme I wanted to do. I did not find a D with that scheme online. The other two winter schemes I found was the one with the white "dots" and the ones with the continuous curved lines. I really like the white block looking scheme and just posted the picture to show the scheme. My apologies if everyone thought I was doing it exactly as the picture I posted.

Last edited:
It's OK. There is no need to apologise. Just I have thought you wanted to make the Rudel's kite. In the case the RLM74 isn't the correct one.

There is german aircraft website whwere I saw a picture of what looked like a "d" in winter camo. Their site has hundreds of pictures of the JU87, as well as other Luftwaffe planes.

Wolfman 63, Try wwiiaircraftphotos.com or it is also known as Rods warbirds. His collections is nothing short of amazing. Over 12000 Luftwaffe photos there plus photos from other airforces as well.

Finished the model but cannot get pictures. Seems the USB cable for the digital camera is defunct. Had to order a new one which should be here early next week.

I like the camo scheme a lot. Indeed the Lufwaffe seamed to use water solible paint for winter washes, hence it wore off rather quickly.
Most of it was brush painted, as it was a field modification, but on larger airfields it was sometimes spray painted.
All camo was done at unit level, hence the large differences in how the winter camo was aplied.

Most was done over the existing paint, so most aircraft wore 70/71 over 65 before the winter wash was aplied.

The so called "wellermüster" "wave patterns" were also sometimes used for winter washes and night bombing operations on the Ju 87. Though adding a "blue hue" like RLM 76 mostly was done for maritime operations.
It was also used on Fighter and Jabo aircraft for maritime operations. (For exapmle KG 54's Ju-88's, KG 2's Do 217's and the Eisenmeer JG)
I guess it all depended on the availble paintstocks at unit level. Most likely the reason why a lot of late war aircraft wore non standard camo.
Also the Luftwaffe rebuild a lot of damaged aircraft in field depo's, where sometimes parts of different airframes was used to rebuild an aircraft, thus mixing parts and camo schemes.
(thoug a different subject all together)

As for the Stuka/Ju 87 D, I'm no expert on this subject, so if used for anti shipping, the RLM 76 wave lines may have been used, most likely prior to the winter wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back