1/48 Me 410A-1/U-2 Dietrich Puttfarken - Me/FW Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger, is that a post-war static display? The support under the wing has me questioning. Might not have the proper markings if so.

See the caption Njaco. As memo serves the exibition was organised in 1941 in Moscow and lasted a couple of years. The image was taken during the summer of 1945. I estimate ( looking at the pic with the general view at this show ) there were about 25 planes or so. All the German captured stuff there seems to be not re-painted but in state it was found. However the Me410 might have been one of captured and tested by VVS planes and re-painted for the exibition.

Last edited:
Now you know where you're going Andy, I have a few drawings and sketches on PDF of the Me 410 that could come in handy. If you're interested, just shout and I'll email it to you.

Time to post a couple of pics of what precious little I've been up to. We start with a "before" pic of the assembled pilot's tub. Note the odd simulation of the foot straps on the pedals and the molded in seatbelts on the seat cushion.

110529 Cockpit Before.jpg

Here's a simlar view of how it looks today. A coat of RLM 66 was applied to everything followed by black onto the side panels. Instruments and toggles were picked out in various colours and then a dry-brush of silver was applied to the side panels. The plastic straps on the pedals were removed and replaced by Tamiya tape straps and painted gray. The pedals themselves are painted aluminum after blacking out the lightening holes. The scratching on the floor was done with a silver pencil.

The instruments on the floor panels were first painted black. Then, once dry, white was applied with a needle and bits of the white were then removed with the pin head to simulate the dial details when the white was partially dry. These then received "glass" bezels made from Future.

The seatbelts are made from wine bottle foil and the buckles from 30ga copper wire which have yet to be painted. The one exception is that I had a piece of an Eduard PE clasp that was attached and which can be seen hanging over the seat edge. I fashioned the cushion on the seat from a wad of Milliput, creased it up with a brush handle and painted gray.

110529 Cockpit.jpg

Here's another view of the tub showing the partly finished harnesses (more paint to be done). The leather leg rests and map case were first painted in gloss brown then dry brushed flat black to get the leather look. Below the tub that can be seen the breaker panel that goes in the Bordfunker's pit in back.

110529 Cockpit  Panel.jpg

The tub is not yet finished. Yet to do: finish the harness, highlight the various colour codes on the instrument bezels plus add the mixture levers which seem to have been omitted.

Thanks for your patience and enthusiastic help thus far. More soon I hope!

Excellent stuff Andy. I tried your needle technique but found the paint didn't flow off the end but just stayed as a small blob just short of the end of the needle, sort of capillary action taking over. So whats the secret?

Yeah, I know. The secret is that I don't really try to pick out the dials and numbers when I first apply the white, so it goes on quite blotchy. Once there's a bit of dried paint on the pin it comes off better. Don't worry if there's too mch white initially as it will be taken off. Maybe a minute after the white goes on, I begin removing it with the pin, going in a radial direction until it looks right to me, being careful no to scratch the black underneath. For those that don't work out, I just reapply some black and start over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back