1/48 Me 410A-1/U-2 Dietrich Puttfarken - Me/FW Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

The hinged canopies have been attached and it was now time to make up the struts that held these open. Plastic rod and 30 ga wire were combined to make these two units:

120526 Props.jpg

Here's a shot of these struts attached to the canopy sections before painting.

120526 Canopies.jpg

Next it was on to the antenna wires. Small holes were drilled in the tail fin and the upper fuselage, the latter also being given a small circle of RLM 02 paint.

120526 Wire Hole.jpg

After securing the wire from the tail to the mast on the canopy, the second wire was glued into the hole on the fuselage then, when this dried, the line was pulled up and around the fin tightly and the intersection with the main wire got a dab of CA:

120526 Wire Pull.jpg

That's all for today. Tomorrow should see this one finished so see you then.

Terry, Hugh, thanks for the comments.

Finals few fiddly bits have been done. The retractable step provided by the kit is incorrectly shaped as the curvature, when the step is pointing to the rear, should be concave. Compare the first pic with the second and you'll see that I fixed this by simply cutting off the step and re-attaching it to the other end:

120527 Step Before.jpg

120527 Step After.jpg

After attaching the step, I did a bit more photo research and decided to add the retractable antenna for the FuG10, seen on some pictures that I deemed relevant to this particular aircraft. This was scratch built with a bit of plastic card with the end shaped a little with a blade and dabbed with a blob of glue to represent the weight on the end of the trailing cable.

120527 Trailing Antenna.jpg

And so concludes this build, finally after many months late for the GB in which it was intended to participate. Final pictures are all posted separately in the "Finished" thread here. Thanks to everyone for you interest, patience, and particularly to those who helped along the way. A special thanks to Karl, Paul, Terry, and, the "lurker", Mike Harrison who took a keen interest in this build and helped with interpretation of colours and details of this particular subject which are, unfortunately poorly documented.

Last edited:
Yeah! Got a stack of books on my dresser, and need to get past one I weas supposed to finish for work 2 weeks ago! But your's is next in line and there's a many a summer day coming up on the lounger under a tree with a Mexican lemonade in my hand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back