1/48 Me 410A-1/U-2 Dietrich Puttfarken - Me/FW Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are some update shots. The first two show the overall model as it looks today. Following the earlier mishap, the broken landing gear has been reassembled, as has squashed drop tank frame. One of the engine bearers had fallen out and this was easily replaced.

120511 1.jpg

120511 2.jpg

The intricate landing gear mechanisms, both left and right, are seen below. When we last left off, the starboard side had not had the jacks and hydraulic lines installed but I've now done that. Painting is not yet complete though. After having seen Terry's helpfull pictures of the Cosworth 410, I've determined that the location of my retraction jack is probably incorrect. After mulling over the issue for maybe 30 seconds, I chose to not fret over this as the amount of rework needed to correct this would have been excessive. Also of note is the fact that the tire seams have been fixed. I don't know how, but I somehow forgot to fix the seams before gluing the wheels onto the struts and they were quite evident so I filed them down and retouched them with lightened black paint. I'm not sure I like the mud stains on the tires and may revert to repainting the tires completely. Pictures of the Soesterburg field where II/KG 51 was based indicate that it probably had paved runways and taxiways so the mud may not be appropriate.

120511 3.jpg

120511 4.jpg

My plan is to finish this project in the next 3 weeks and take it to the Western Canadian Regional Model Contest on June 2. The red M's are bugging me a bit with the overspray and, if I have time, I may chose to redo these. Before then, I'll continue to plug away on the remaining bits and pieces to finish this model off.

Thanks everyone for your continued enthusiasm and positive comments. Any critiques are also most welcome.

That is........ pretty much as I'd always imagined 9K + MN would look like!

If that model doesn't win a prize there's no justice in the world!

Thanks guys.

With the exception of the retractable foot step, I have now finished off the underside of this model. This overall shot shows how it looks now. Basically, I did not like the mud splatters so I decided to spray overy them with black. I know some of you thought these looked good but - no offence! - I have since determined that Puttfarken operated from a strip with hard surfaces. Also seen here are the finished wheel wells and the exhaust stains which were added using white and black pastels.

120521 Underside.jpg

Here are two close-ups of the finished wells. There's so much going on in these areas and more could be done but, quite frankly, I've hit my limit of patience with these areas and I decided to call them done and move on. Since last update, I've added the outer doors as well as the retraction links. I may yet try to get the sheen off the black hydraulic lines before I turn it over permanently.

120521 Well 1.jpg

120521 Well 2.jpg

The engine was finished off by adding the exhaust manifolds:

120521 Engine.jpg

Now I'll get on with some of the fiddley bits but first I need to figure out the gunsight arrangement. Revell actually provides a sight with the kit but claims it's not required. I will likely install it but need to look up a detail to confirm.

Less than two weeks to the model show so I'll be done this one very soon.

Last edited:
Looks bril Andy. Personally, I think I'd leave the hydraulic lines as they are - they provide contrast, and look like the synthetic rubber probably would have looked like. Maybe a thin wash of reddish brown would tone them down slightly, and give an authentic look?
I have a pic of the cockpit of the Cosford machine (from a calendar!), which might show the gun sight. Leave it with me until I get back from Elvington, and I'll check. Give me a kick if I haven't replied by Thursday night!

Thanks guys.

Terry, will do. The Cosford machine would be a good representation as it's close to my W.Nr. In my references, I've seen 4 different gunsight installations but can definitely rule out the telescopic sight as well as the upside down Stuvi. I'd like to go with a normal Revi but can't figure out how it was mounted. It seems to be attached to the windscreen frame somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back