1/48 Sabre Mk 6 - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: Catch22
First name: Cory
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: F-86F-30
Aftermarket addons: Leading Edge Decals, possibly some cockpit resin.

115280-10684.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be doing a Canadair Sabre Mk 6 of 444 Squadron, RCAF at Baden, Germany, during the 60s. I haven't decided on a precise subject, but it will either be 23455 (VH 455) or 23620. Only difference seems to be that 455 has the older VH squadron code as opposed to the later RCAF written down the side in large lettering. Side number 722 is also an option.

94_33.jpg

vh455.jpg

artifact-canadair-sabre-6.jpg

guynemer_sabres_1961.jpg

Now, here is where I run into problems. As mentioned in the main post, the kit I have is for an F-86F-30, which does not have the leading edge slats in the wing and is the equivalent to a Mk 5 Sabre. I will likely need to scribe these, however I do have a decal sheet laying around that has panel line decals for them, but I'm not sure it would look very good. Is there anything else I need to be careful of? I am far from a Sabre expert. Geo sent me a bunch of info but I haven't had a chance to sort through it.

Last edited:
Very nice choice. I'll do some checking Cory, but you should be good. I had to shorten the wings on my unofficial build, but I was using a -40 kit.

Nice one Cory. The '6-3' wing had a deeper wing root, which encroached into the ammo bin hatch/step. When the hatch was open, the leading edge fillet, where it joined the fuselage, was detached and hung on a chain. If the wing isn't extended at this point, the re-scribing the hatch panel line will look acceptable enough.

I've made a start, here is the extremely boring cockpit. Tried using the IP decal, but it looked terrible, and this is a somewhat better result, even if it isn't great.

E443E15C-8E7A-4CAF-9665-A6FFD5AB5CB5_zpsvmoeycry.jpg

07CA3D8E-E694-44F1-BB50-280AB1E19658_zpszz7w8g1c.jpg

Was hoping to close the fuselage tonight, but I don't have any actual weights, just pennies and they're too wide. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back