1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hmmm...this kit keeps putting up ressistance to the very end...
I've been struggling with the landing gear for a few hours now. I had to lenghten it and made new crosses.
Also on top of the fuselage goes a "football" shaped dome. The part incuded with the kit looked nothing like th eactual item on the Maru Mechanic drawings, so I made a new one from a 1/48 WWII Polish bomb (that came from the PZL 37 kit).

The props are another "project" to say the least. Everything is usable, but not without a lot of work...
I'll hve to make a jig to assemble the prop blades to the hub. I just don't now which prop turned which way...
It's not clear on the Maru drawings. As they only show one prop.

Though this Sanger kit will not get the better of me!!! I will master it!

Allright! Tamed the landing gear...
Got the "Footbal" right and started on the Ju-88 wheels to make 'em fit the Ki-67 landing gear...
Can't believe it took me a day to get this done...
But, I can cross this of my "to do list"! :)

Some pics of what I've been up to;
DSCF2877.JPG

DSCF2872.JPG

DSCF2873.JPG

DSCF2875.JPG

DSCF2876.JPG

DSCF2878.JPG

Yesterday I assembled the props. Another daunting task. A lot of filling the white metal parts and a lot of fiddling to get the a propper alignment of the prop blades. I gave these a good cat of primer and filled again with some putty. Hope to sand these later and add some paint.

The landing gear keeps tricky to say the least. I noticed a discripancy between the drawings and the picture Wojtek posted. The "cross" in the picture sits lower then on the Maru drawing. I already cut of a bit of the part where I lenghtend the gear. I'll take another route with the gear. I'm gonna box it in in the nacelle with some epoxy glue to make sure it sits tight. But the Ju 88 wheels fit well en look quiet good. I'll only have to add the brakes now. A small ring that I have to glue on the wheel rim.

Unmasking the think will be for next week at the earliest. I have to fix the gear and props first.
Then the last weathering round and a layer of flat befor I'll remove the masks on the clear parts.

I think the discrepancy may be because of the compressing of these shock absorbers. The same can be noticed in the diagrams posted by Shinpachi. It can be clearly seen that the wheel could go up almost to the "cross" bottom while the bomber was loaded fully.

Thanks for the clarification on the landing gear. Indeed, the shock absorbers would get depressed when the bomber was loaded.
I think I go for an inbetween look. Comparing various pics of the actual Ki-67 (in it's many cnfigurations, reveals the bomber sits lower then on the Maru drawings. Ofcourse also the angle under which the various pictures are taken can be confusing too I guess.

I almost finished mu struggle with the props. I also added the starter stacks? to the tip of the prop hubs. Visible in pics and the drawings, absent on the Sanger parts...ofcourse ;)

Super!!! Thanks for that. I'll know what to do tomorow...
If all goes well, more pics then.

The more I look at the included kits landing gear, the more I am convinced it's the gear of another aircraft (I'm guessing some R.A.F. bomber that sanger/Contrail also caries in it's line of kits)
The overall dimensions are ok-ish for a Ki-67, but that's about it. But with some elbow grease I think I can manage this and make it look decent.

Props are almost ready and so is the weathering.

It seams some fuel caps on the wings were painted red for the ground crews for quick identification? (As there are other caps and pannels surounding these)
Hard to see in the B/W pics (due to the low contrast) but visible in most Ki-67 builds and Hasegawa's painting instructions. So I have to deal with those as well. The fuel caps on the fuselage don't seam to heve got this treatment..So it's a bit confusing.

It's also strange that there are no warning signs on the Ki-67's fuselage for the props or on the wings for the flaps as seen on other IJAAF bombers.

Last edited:
I fought the gear and I won! ;)
DSCF2880.JPG

Then the props...I think I got them after all...
Sanger really knows to get on your nerves with these...
DSCF2879.JPG

Ofcourse after some paint they look a whole lot better, especially once test fitted!
DSCF2881.JPG

DSCF2882.JPG

DSCF2883.JPG

So, that's it for now...Next will be the instalment on the landing gear and the final flat coat...
Stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back