1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Brilliant work. Don't know how they could get that undercarriage so wrong as the tire won't even fit.

Indeed. At first I was under the impression I had simply put the part upside down. But even then the cross does not fit the drawing. My conclusion is that the cross is just in the wrong place.
How you turn it, in it's current state the wheel does not fit the undercarriage leg.
I hope by cutting out the cross and move it I can somewhat save the undercarriage.
If that does not work, then I guess I'll have to scratch build this part.

This kit really tests once patience and sanity untill the end :lol:

Yep.. you are right the "cross" is at the incorrect place. The bottom endings of it shouldn't be attached to the movable parts of the absorbers. Here is a pic of the main landing gear of the Ki-67.

Peggy main wheel.jpg

Thanks wojtek for this wonderful picture.
It shows just the details I needed.
Now I know where the brake line should go and that there is indeed exhaust staining.
(Something I hadn't seen in other pics)

Interesting to notice that the Ki-67's engine drips oil on the main wheels. I read that the Mistubishi Kasei were notorious for their engine leaking (as discrided on the various reports of GI's of the Le Shima surrender Betty's. Just didn't know this was also the case with the Ki-67's engines...)

Looking at the picture, I think I will make new better detailed crosses for the landing gear in plastic card, since they are rather prominent. The white metal ones of the kit lack a lot of detail.

Last edited:
Would plastic be strong enough to support it? If you know how to solder, it might be worth soldering new units with pieces of metal rod.
Lovely work so far, btw!

I'm now struggling with the landing gear and with the fuselage hinomaru's...

The landing gear proves to be tricky. I came to the conclusion that the legs are too short. About 8 mm.
So the "cross" is in fact in the right place. Though this section is far moe complicated than the sanger part. I'm gonna make a new "cross" for each leg and ad some brass tubing to get the correct length.
Since this gear is quiet prominent I have to do something about it.

The fuselage Hinomaro's prove to be more difficult. I ran out of Vallejo red and tried to use enamel paint for this. Big mistake... So I have to start over, but I got a plan...
I ordered an olfa cutting compass. Seams a local arts store has these..

More to come soon...

YES, YES, YES... It worked!!! After some 3 near disasters I finaly managed to get the white borded fuselage Hinomaru's right...
It was really fustrating as my first 3 attempts were just horrible... First one had the colour gone bad, so I tried to replace it resulting in dripping paint from a bad jar of humbrol flat white...aaarrrggghhh...So the 3rd attempt had bleeding from under the mask into the white...
I almost got a pair of siccors out to cut some Hinomaru's from an AMD decal sheet and call it a day.
Though yesterday I received an e-mail notifying me that my order for the Olfa Circle Cutter arrived at the store.
Picked it up this morning and imidiatly started on my 4th attempt.

This time however I changed tactics. Painted the red portion first, using a mix of light red and brown from Humbrol. next I cut a small self adhisive disc (smaller then the actual red portion) and aplied it over the red painted disc once it dried. Then I aplied the mask for the white border, using the mask of the red disc mask as a guide to have it propperly centered. Once this was done, I masked of the fuselage and painted the white border with some Vallejo white. I prefer Vallejo white as it has far better coverage then any other white paint I have + it dries super fast when mixed with isopropyl alcohol. I didn't want a thick layer of paint....

So, here we are now on the Ki-67...Phew...
DSCF2868.JPG

DSCF2869.JPG

And a few days ago I also added the IFF yellow wing markings;
DSCF2870.JPG

DSCF2871.JPG

I'm very happy with how the kit looks now...I still have 14 days to fix the last details and get the landing gear on.
Though I think this one will finally pan out great...I hope...

Thanks all for your nice comments! :)

Looks beautiful but what's the deadline?

Ah, the deadline. Here's the reason. I'm member of a local IPMS chapter here in Belgium and when I started this build I promesed the guys there that I'll have the kit ready by their anual moddeling show. It's a yearly event with lots of vedors, modelling clubs a contest etc...
Every year most members place a few models on the contest tables (as out of contest models) as our yearly modelling achivements. Since I haven't completed a model in the last 10 years or so, it's the main reason I wan the Ki-67 to be ready by March the 1st.
I kind of shows you're back in the game, so to speak ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back