1/48 SBD-3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
3_7_b3.jpg

us-navy-lieutenant-john-a-leppla-and-radioman-3rd-class-ja-liska-at-hg04pr.jpg

Ensign John Leppla and Radio/Gunner ARM3c John Liska flew with VS-2 from the USS Lexington CV-2 on May 8, 1942 for what became known as the Battle of the Coral Sea. During the Battle of the Coral Sea in May 1942, pilot Ensign John Leppla got four kills and his gunner, John Liska, three. They acquired these kills on their return to the Lexington from an attack on Japanese carriers. Their arrival co-incided with the Japanese attack on US carriers.

The aircraft flown by them and the one I am modeling is the Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless Dive Bomber BuNo 4647 aircraft number 12. I will be attempting to replicate its paint scheme and markings as they were on that date. Note at that time the older "red ball" markings were still in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not yet know as I have not examined my kit in detail, but I have read that some of the SBD-3 kits contained a sprue from the SBD-5 which resulted in the wrong cowl configuration. As the manufacturer is out of business I cannot obtain another replacement so may need to make some modifications.

At the time of the battle these were equipped with single not double guns and a quick review of the sprue shows I have both options. The decals look correct for the version I am building, now working on locating an potential aftermarket components mostly tires that may still be available.

Decal Sheet looks great, the red balls are overlays for the early war national insignia. Lots of little ones as usual. But the quality looks good and the markings look great. If anyone sees anything that could be an issue for the specific aircraft I am building please let me know.

P2010034.JPG

I also want to build the SBD successor the Helldiver as well as a TBM Avenger. My step Grandfather was on the Yorktown and managed to survive both Midway and Coral Sea, I honestly don't know what he did in the Navy he never talked about it much, but he was a pilot of some kind. He had a unique name so I always figured I could search him out some day. Hiram Sharpe.

Nice choice Robert. Somewhere on my hard drive I have a lot of detailed pictures I took of the restored Dauntless at the Air Zoo. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back