1/48 Spitfire F Mk.22 607 Sqdn - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22 probably PK559
Details: No 607 (County of Durham) Squadron RauxAF - Cooper Trophy Air Race 1948
Aircraft Assignment: TBD
Accessories: Masks, Resin, and Etch all in the box!
Decals: Eduard​

Take 2 on this one. I didn't get too far on the first go, so with the judges permission granted (thanks judges!), I'll attempt to finish this one in this GB. I've not taken up tools since late March so I'm a little rusty truth be told. I've spend some time travelling (the US) and dealing with another job at work, which is pinching some of my spare time, but most of all I've been on a 'get fit' regime. I'll apologize now for slow progress, but hopefully this one will be done for closing.

So where was I? Here's the pics.

Completed the re-scribing for the re-positioned radio hatch.

Attachments

• P1030556.jpg
    P1030556.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 220
  • colour profile spit 22 resized.jpg
    colour profile spit 22 resized.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 199
  • radio hatch 004 - resized.jpg
    radio hatch 004 - resized.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 206
  • radio hatch 001 - resized.jpg
    radio hatch 001 - resized.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 196
  • P1030557.jpg
    P1030557.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done Peter, and I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed, as that was my 'local' Squadron where I grew up. Fancied doing mine in their colours, but going for my 'adopted' area's Sqn, 'City of Manchester'.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Here's this week progress.

Pic 1
Airfix kit. Flash is negligible for the most part, but this sprue with the prop parts seems to be bad.

Pic 2
Turning the sprue over reveals the back of the props, each one with a sink mark that will need to be fixed.

Pic 3
Painted the ID lights for the bottom of the fuselage.

Pic 4
Sprayed the interior of the wheel bays interior grey green. This is the Eduard call out, and from what I understand that the later marks were painted this colour here, rather than aluminium of the earlier marks.

Pic 5
Wings joined, and a great fit too!

Pic 6
Also joined was the fuselage halves. Before joining, I scraped off all the side wall details, ready for the resin cockpit. Strictly not the right order of things, but should be easier to get the pit lined up later. Fit was great, no problems.

Pic 7
Started on the resin bits with a coat of grey green. Lots of exacting work trimming off the resin plugs to get this far, but starting to look the part.

Pic 8
The panel is photo-etch, again this is part of the Eduard boxing, and looks mighty fine for the efforts of a few dabs of CA. :)

Attachments

• props 001 resized.jpg
    props 001 resized.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 179
  • fuselage 001 resized.jpg
    fuselage 001 resized.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 156
  • wings 001 resized.jpg
    wings 001 resized.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 196
  • interior 002 - resized.jpg
    interior 002 - resized.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 181
  • interior 001 - resized.jpg
    interior 001 - resized.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 170
  • wheel bays 001 resized.jpg
    wheel bays 001 resized.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 179
  • id lights 001 resized.jpg
    id lights 001 resized.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 169
  • props 002 resized.jpg
    props 002 resized.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 169
Good stuff Peter. I'm a bit surprised at all that flash on the sprues - but then, the original Airfix moulds are now more than 15 years old, which may account for this. Just checked my original-release kit, and not a sign of flash or sink marks anywhere.

Nice work Peter. I tried the same painting with the ID lights on my Seafire but the colors did not "pop" until I topcoated with chrome silver to reflect light back out thru the lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back