1/48 Spitfire Mk V 401 Sqdn - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No problem Andy. It looks like the 'old' IFF wires are not fitted, but the 'Factory standard' fuselage outlet is there - normal, standard fit brass collet - which was still to be seen even on early MkIXs, so probably a dipole under the starboard wing could be the expected IFF fit.
As for the marks in the fuselage roundel, my first thought is that they don't exist - those are damaged areas on the negative, or reproduced from marks on the 'donor' print, appearing to be part of the paintwork. My eyes are far too tired to confirm this at the moment, but they have all the characteristics of typical 'wet' incursions at some point in the processing, or reproduction, of the original photographic image, and if viewed carefully, can be seen to be on a different 'level' to the surroundings - that is, 'superimposed', as opposed to being 'in' the surface.

Thanks guys. Actually, this one didn't place in the top 3 - I was shut out by some outstanding entries. 14 models in the advanced single engined prop category. I'll post details later today.

Last year, the judges shared the score sheets with us and I think it was optional this year. However, I knew of my obvious decal issues and the repaired canopy glazing so this entry did not deserve to be among the top given the competition that was there.

Sorry to hear you did not make the top three Andy, even if the Spit was not good enough for the show, it is still a well built model. So well done mate.

Last edited:
Must have been some good ones to push you down the running order Andy. Still a darned good model though.

Very nice Andy. I love the weathering, especially the chipping along the wing roots. If I do another 1/48 Tamiya Spit I'll be leaving off the white layer under the roundels. I think the colored ones a opaque enough and think the white decals really are the culprit for the difficulty in having them lay well over the curves on the surface.

Thanks guys.

Very nice Andy. I love the weathering, especially the chipping along the wing roots. If I do another 1/48 Tamiya Spit I'll be leaving off the white layer under the roundels. I think the colored ones a opaque enough and think the white decals really are the culprit for the difficulty in having them lay well over the curves on the surface.

Jason, I didn't using the white underlays but still had the problem. Mike Grant gave me a tip to use very warm water when applying Tamiya decals.

Cheers Brooks. I might enter it as is in the 2013 Western Canadian as a moderate detail entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back