1/48 Spitfire Mk V 401 Sqdn - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This'll be the last update for a couple of weeks as I'm all packed up to leave for Toronto tomorrow morning. I'll not be working on the models but will be online when I get a chance.

The rear canopy is finished and has been masked and painted. The underside's been painted and masked for the upper camo and before spraying the Dark Sea Gray, I squirted some silver along the wing roots as this aircraft had a very heavy wear pattern there as can be seen in the reference pic taken from the rear quarter in an earlier post. Recall also that this aircraft had a non-standard camouflage pattern that seemed to wrap the Dark Sea Gray completely around the canopy. Pics on the port side attest to this but the starboard side is just conjecture at this time.

Thanks for looking in guys.

Attachments

• 120826 Canopy Left.jpg
    120826 Canopy Left.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 120826 Canopy Right.jpg
    120826 Canopy Right.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 120826 Overall 1.jpg
    120826 Overall 1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 120826 Overall 2.jpg
    120826 Overall 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 120826 Underside.jpg
    120826 Underside.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 128
Wow, I know you have an engineering background Andy, but that cockpit fix is really impressive. Nice progress on the painting too. Yet another person who knows the correct painting sequence :oops:. Enjoy Toronto and your son's company.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Got the Dark Green on today and removed the masks. For this model, I switched to using Tamiya paints and I must say that, although I hate the fact that they have to be mixed to achieve the desired colours (and not always by using their instructions BTW), I really like how these go on. I was able to achieve the tightest freehand edge that I have ever done and clogging of the nozzle is virtually non existent.

The paint in the wing root areas has been only roughly applied around the bare aluminum. Once completely set, I will be scratching this back over these heavily worn sections.

120908 1.jpg
120908 2.jpg
120908 3.jpg

Cheers guys. I've now spent a bit of time chipping away the camo and have attached shots just before I spray on some Future. Golfing in the mountain parks tomorrow so no progress shots til I start the decals early in the
120908 4.jpg
120908 5.jpg
week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back