1/48 Spitfire Mk V 401 Sqdn - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

Not so "Spiffing" or "Spiffy" is this issue that I encountered before with the Tamiya Spit Mk I kit. Clearly it's a mold issue that results in the rear canopy glazing being much too wide for the fuselage profile (see circles in the pic below). When I tried to fix this on the Mk II, I ended up breaking the clear part and I heard, I think, that Jason (JayL) broke a canopy part.

So, any bright ideas on how to fix this? It's crossed my mind to drop the part in very hot water and then pinch it to shape while it cools but I'm still worried that I'll bust it. Looking for ideas here, thanks.

Attachments

• 120814 Misfit Glazing.jpg
    120814 Misfit Glazing.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
As far as I remember Andy, on my Tamiya MkV I eased out the fuselage sides, holding them with a wedge until the rear glazing set. I've had a look through my build photos, but looks like I didn't photograph the procedure.

Well, if I do that, I think I'll get a huge gap between the frame behind the seat and the skin, quite visible with the hatch open. Spent the last half hour googling kit reviews and no-one seems to have had this issue.

Andy, drop us your address, got another spare Falcon vac form section (designed for the Revell Mk.II, but should fit alright)

Or you could just try scratch building one - a simple rectangle cut from a flexible clear plastic should be enough, just bend and glue in place! Frames can be added from Tamiya tape.
(Packakging on things like toothbrushes may already have the right form, just measure cut and glue :) )

Let us know if you want that rear canopy anway!

Just had another look through my build photos, and I don't actually think there was a problem on mine. The cockpit frame sits against the fuselage wall correctly, and the glazing seems to be OK. I'm thinking I might have had to carefully file the bottom edge though, but this can't be seen under the open canopy.

OK, thanks. Maybe I just got "lucky". Oddly, I had the same issue on my MkI and I ended up breaking it when I tried to pinch it. That's why I'm being really careful this time.

I'm guessing this means you cracked it? I think your cockpit assembly needed to come up a little more and it would have pushed the sides out a bit. I think where that frame piece the seat attaches to needs to align with the bottom of the radius and the exterior walls. Maybe you can put some styrene shims in there?

Quick Paint to show what I'm talking about.

7793642286_a5e533e6c1_c.png

I don't know what my problem is with the Tamiya Spitfire canopy, but I've broken three pieces now between the two kits. I have never had that problem with other canopies.

Last edited:
Yup, broke it even after dipping in near boiling water while pinching it in. I'm now 2 for 2 for breaking this part on Tamiya Spits.

Jason, it's possible that the fix you suggest might help, but as you can see in the pic, the top of the frame as already hitting the glazing with the bottom edge of the glazing flush with the mating surface. Pushing the frame up would involve flattening the top of the frame or modifying the glass piece.

Too late now anyway and it's on to plan B. I've begun forming a new piece from clear plastic and will see how it goes. So much for OOB.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back