1/48 Spitfire Mk V 401 Sqdn - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank-you everyone. Time for a short update to show that I've been working on the final stages of this build. The 2012 Alberta Military Model Show is this Saturday and I want to get this done as one of my 4 entries.

Here's an overall shot showing the model as it looks right now. A coat of Future preceded addition of the decals which proved to be a challenge as you'll see below. The wing walk lines on the port wing have just been completed, leaving the starboard wing still to do.

120911 Upper.jpg

Past experience with the Tamiya roundels on my Mk II Spit showed that they have difficulty settling down with Solvaset over the protrusions on the upper wing (not sure what these are actually) so this time I made a template and cut a hole in the decal where the protrusion is before immersing it in water. Unfortunately, I still got some wrinkles that made the port roundel turn out less than perfect and in trying to press these out, I tore the decal. I'll need to disguise this once the finish coat is done.

120911 Roundel.jpg

By contrast, the painted woman and squadron code decals provided to me by Wayne turned out to be a bit thick and stiff and completely impervious to the Solvaset so there was no reaction at all to this application. These turned out not to bad nevertheless. The "Walk Inboard" stenciling has been chipped away in keeping with the heavy wear in the wing root on this particular aircraft.

120911 Closeup.jpg

Finally, a pic of the underside where I had to deal with similar issues with the Tamiya roundels. Copious amounts of Future over the few remaining wrinkles I had after extensive work will hopefully make these not too noticeable. A thin panel line wash has been completed and there will be some extensive oil staining yet to be done here.

120911 Underside.jpg

Thanks for checking in guys.

Thanks chaps. Meeting tonight on on the Mosquito restoration so won't get anything done. Nor tomorrow due to company golf tourny so Friday should be entertaining.

Took the day off today and finished off this build. The final overcoat was Future dulled down a bit with Tamiya Flat Base which worked out really well to give me a the right amount of sheen I was looking for. As this one is late for the GB, I'm not going to post a finished thread but have included all the mandatory views plus a whole bunch of others. The only things that disappoint me, apart from the busted rear canopy, are that I got some silvering on the port "YO" code that I couldn't get rid of and also the misbehaving roundel, which I've disguised a bit with paint chipping. Lesson learned for next time is that I'll cut the carrier film between the groups of letters to minimize the chance of silvering.

Thanks everyone for following this build and for your encouragement and kind remarks. It was supposed to be a quick one but the canopy fix kind of negated that. Now it's on to the Avenger.

1209141.jpg
1209142.jpg
1209143.jpg
1209144.jpg
1209145.jpg
1209146.jpg
1209147.jpg
1209148.jpg
1209149.jpg
12091410.jpg
12091411.jpg
12091412.jpg
12091413.jpg
12091414.jpg
12091415.jpg
12091416.jpg
12091417.jpg
12091418.jpg
12091419.jpg
12091420.jpg

That's a cracker Andy, very nicely done!
If you're going to enter it in comps at some stage, then a couple of small details as finishing touches will go a long way when you get the chance.
The landing gear indicator pegs (shown as small 'bumps' on the kit wings), still used on the MkV, and the doped fabric patch over the flare chute, as shown in these pics I took especially at Duxford. (the patch shown is on the MkIX, but was in the same place on the MkV.)
Also, this aircraft probably had the earlier IFF, with wires from the tips of the tail planes to the fuselage. Oh, and I can't see a pitot tube?

Attachments

• Czech 047.jpg
    Czech 047.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Czech 070.jpg
    Czech 070.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 154
Thanks Terry. I very much appreciate the observations and was not aware of the flare chute. I am indeed entering this model in the Alberta Military Model Show today ( I leave fro the show in 2 hours) and have run out of time to add further bits at this stage. Recall also that this was to be an OOB so I did not go over the top as usual with detailing so stuff like the landing gear indicators were not in the cards.

The pitot tube is indeed there - it just does not show up prominently in any of the pics but can be seen on the full underside view (the actual tube lines up directly with the clipped wing tip so is hard to see but the post is there). I had considered the IFF wires but left them off because I could not see them in the below photo and reasoned that these may have been removed and replaced with later gear. My logic is based on the fact that 401 Squadron was equipped with Mk IXs in July 1942 but then went back to Vb's in January 1943. The picture below was taken in October 1943 before the squadron reverted back to using Mk IXs and my model is representative of this version of EN921 which, by this time, also had the early style windscreen replaced. Note also the odd looking patches in the paint on the fuselage roundel in the below pic. I considered adding these but a) did not know what colour these were and b) felt that these would look very unorthodox on the model and might lose me points in judging. Let me know if the above does not make sense and, once again, thanks very much for the observations as I do very much appreciate this kind of feedback.

Spit V YO_A EN921 401 Sqdn Jack Sheppard 1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back