1/48 Tamiya Austin Tilly

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Please excuse me guys if this is the wrong thread :D Just started a Tamiya 1/48 Austin Tilly and wanted to post some progress, still not sure if she'll join a dio. or make my own dio. for her, but it is an intrigueing kit with an excellent layout :)

I'll post some build shots soon.

Austin Tilly was the most used British vehicle during WW2.

Last edited:
Nice one. I'm thinking of maybe including one in my 1/48th Lancaster diorama, when I eventually get to it, unless Tamiya or someone release a British truck,so I'll be watching this.

I got it for substantially less than 40 :D from our local model club and whenever I get a great price on a kit, I promise to build em :D and this little kit is awesome :D

DSCN9112_zpsedf7965f.jpg

Along with the kits were, 2 sets of shovels etc, 2 figures (US MP and British bobby) and 2 Bicycles :D
DSCN9113_zpse4d7c9ae.jpg

One of the sides didn't match up (due to a slight finger of mine being dabbed in glue :( and accidentally placing it on the kit :O ) up until then this kit was going perfectly, but in all kits, nothing can be perfect :D so I added a replacement strip while sanding.
DSCN9115_zps38ebc63c.jpg

Carpet monster struck and ate my headlamp, so I scratched another one (noticed how it wasn't straight so I fixed it today in the morning :D)
DSCN9117_zps868d536a.jpg

Grill and everything in place:
RSCN9122_zps4370410c.jpg

I wanted to make it with the glass rolled down, so I had to cut the top section free. It hides a lot of holes in the top of the cabin, without it, a lot of putty would be needed.
DSCN9123_zps2723c092.jpg

You can see the circles left from the mold process, I've sanded these down this morning but here is what they looked like before:
DSCN9124_zpsff87d766.jpg

That is it for now :D its a great kit and I'd honestly pick one up for $40 if I found one at the LHS. Very little seam and the most important part is that the fenders match up nicely :) real clean cut kit :D

Those bikes look interesting !
I've been looking for 1/48th cycles, again for the Lanc diorama, and they look like they'll be more convincing then the PE versions I found. Do you know if they're still in production/available ?

Those bikes look interesting !
I've been looking for 1/48th cycles, again for the Lanc diorama, and they look like they'll be more convincing then the PE versions I found. Do you know if they're still in production/available ?

Aye, Propoganda Kompany, checked out his site when I got the kit, mighty fine stuff on it :D was thinking of ordering like 100 Bicycles and making a bicycle army :D hehehe

The Quality is really nice :D One of the bikes is "whole" with some small bits to attach and the other one, is built in a 2 part stage (or this one came broken lol I'm still examining them( but they are nice and built fairly strong for this thin resin :D

Really impressed me when it came out of the pack. Also they are made in the UK :D
The company itself has a lot of other cool items (heads of every sizes, weapons etc) It is pretty much a good one stop shop, if their other items are as great as these bikes I'll be hoarding a good stash soon :D

Their motorcycles will be my next pick up :D look awesssome :D

Awesome Thanks Geo :D so I have 1 British Bike and 1 British Para Bike for the 2 that I've got :D

Np at all :D

Hmm I've run into a dilemma, cut this thing or don't cut this thing, in the 1/35 versin it isn't there. In the 1/48 everyone that builds the model keeps this part, although I'll be darned to find a reference photo of it online :D (circled in red in the photo, not sure what to do with this part :D)

Other than that applied the putty and sanded on the interior fender hub and redone the panel lines :) tested with silver paint and it is good :) hopefully it will remain good on airbrushing this weekend :D

DSCN9125_zpsb5fcf629.jpg

Just thought - what's on the other side of the panel, on the outside? That little 'lump' might be the neck of the fuel filler, if there's a filler cap on the other side.

The little lump is on both sides of the interior, on the exterior the fuel cap is on a different location (near the fenders)

I could see it as something practical (ie maybe some type of thing to hold the boxes open when they were in use, but apart from that :D no idea :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back