1/48 Tamiya F4U-1 Bird Cage Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is what I believe is a good reference...Birdcage Corsair Restoration Update For the green I use Humbrol 75 Bronze Green straight out of the tin. It seems to match yours. Its also enamel but for the little I use I can live with it

1618328563298.png

Last edited:
This is what I believe is a good reference...Birdcage Corsair Restoration Update For the green I use Humbrol 75 Bronze Green straight out of the tin. It seems to match yours. Its also enamel but for the little I use I can live with it

Thanks Geo - the reference site you provided must be the source for a couple of photo's I found in other modellers threads elsewhere. I have also found some photos of a recovered early F4U-1 which show the original (and somewhat faded) primer colour. All up it should be enough to get me moving with mixing up a reasonable representation. Cheers.

Oh boy... :(.

Glad you and yours are fine. I hope the house may be fixed up as soon as possible. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks Wurger. Waiting on an engineer's assessment, been verbally told this afternoon that the entire back and side of the house will likely need to be demolished and rebuilt. Might be a couple of months - provided we can find a builder that can do the work! Cest la vie!

Thanks for the kind words gents!

Looks like the rebuild will be challenging - one of the key load bearing studs for the second storey has been damaged. Will need to have the upper floor stabilised before any work can commence. Then they need to work out how best to move an entire wall laterally by over an inch (if a car can punch it one way I am hopeful we can move it back some other way without resorting to hitting from the other side ;)). Glad it's not my job to fix it!

I'm back!!! We had some temporary repairs made to reinforce the damaged load bearing stud and install a temporary internal false wall with hoarding pinned to the outside wall. All up we now have a house that is basically sealed and seems to hold some heat despite it being a cold and wet start to winter. Spent the last week and half just cleaning up all the brick and mortar dust that settled throughout - still some cleaning to go, but its basically livable now.

The better news is that I've had some time in the past two nights to get back to the Corsair. It's a nice way to get away from thinking about what is needed next with the house.

I've managed to button up the fuselage without destroying any of the work I did on the cockpit tub. The engine has been installed into the cowl and the wing root section has been assembled with some hydraulic lines added to the u/c bays for a bit more character (yet to be painted in these shots). I've also spent a fair bit of time in assuring that the wing root sub-assembly lines up properly with panel lines on the fuselage - this was necessary as, when gluing the upper wing sections on I did not pay enough attention to their fore/aft alignment. I spent a bunch of time making sure they lined up laterally, but did not realise until later that the leading edge of the upper section was about 0.5mm forward of the lower section (dang it!!!). This had the flow on effect of pushing the fuselage section molded into the wing root assembly to be 0.5mm too far back. So after some filing, sanding and fettling I think its all good to go.
F4U-1 Step 5 Assemblies.JPG
F4U-1 Wing Root & U-C Bays.JPG

I'm hoping to do some more over the next couple of days. Want to get this one done as I am now starting to amass a "stash", which I never normally have. The Chairman of the Board has noticed the growing pile of kits and issued a "please explain" notice :lol:. Time to get building!!!

As always - thanks to everyone who looks in on my ramblings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back