1/48th Spitfire Vc, 136 Sqn, Burma, 1943-44. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nicely done! I like the way you spice up the interior a bit whithout going into full blown aftermarket mode. Keep it up, this will surely be helpful in certain areas when I start my Vb

Where da pics at? Nice work with all the alterations Terry, looks like it's well on it's way to being another great build.

Thanks guys. The work done was mainly clean up and preparation, so no pics worth taking yet. I'll post some when there's something to show, soon.

As promised, a few pics.
PIC 1.The main section of the cockpit has been assembled, and given an initial thin, brushed coat of cockpit green, lightened with a spot of white for 'scale effect'. This will have a second coat before painting the details. The pilot's back armour was rather thick, so this was filed down to a more scale appearance.
PIC 2. The oxygen bottle has been added, made form shaped sprue, and the oxygen hose from stretched sprue, textured by crimping in a pair of pliers.
PIC 3. Like the cockpit assembly, a thin, brushed coat of Cockpit Green has been applied, with a darker shade on the lower surfaces, to create depth. The moulded and added details have their basic first coats applied, and will be done properly after the walls receive some shading etc. The other details, such as the landing gear selector etc, will be added later.
PIC 4. The wing centre section has been roughly painted in a darker shade of the cockpit colour, to create a shadow area.
PIC 5. The seat as provide in the kit.
PIC 6. The first stage of modification. The depression for the parachute pack closing flap has been cut and filed, the notch for the ripcord strap cut and covered with card, and the seat sides and pan thinned, as well as drilling out the hole in the back.
More soon, and thanks again for your kind comments and interest.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 044.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 044.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Bob Cross Spit V 040.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 040.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Bob Cross Spit V 042.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 042.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Bob Cross Spit V 043.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 043.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Bob Cross Spit V 035.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 035.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Bob Cross Spit V 038.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 038.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 91
Thanks Glenn. I'm not very happy about the paint though - it's a new tin of Humbrol (as is the white paint too), and is very thin once stirred. I'm wishing I'd sprayed it now, but hopefully a second coat will cover better.

Thanks guys, I should have more done tonight.
Aaron, this is just another example of the inconsistency of the current Humbrol paints. It can be stirred and stirred, but leaving the tin open just accelerates the oxidation. As it is, new tins are only lasting a few weeks before they go hard !

Thanks Gerry.
The cockpit is now done, mainly OOB, with a couple of additions, and the fuselage has been joined.
PIC 1. The finished seat assembly, with the Sutton harness made from foil from a yoghurt carton.
PIC 2. The instrument panel was first painted gloss white (enamel) and left to fully dry. Next step was a coat of matt black and, when dry, the instrument faces were scratched on with the aid of a drawing compass tip. The panel was then retouched where required, and the compass painted and the dials given a spot of Future to simulate the glass.
PIC 3. The completed cockpit assembly.
PIC 4. The port side wall had the oxygen cylinders added, along with the radio remote control and the throttle quadrant.
PIC 5. the fuselage halves are now joined and cemented.
PIC 6. A view into the cockpit. A small hole will be drilled under the rear glazing frame, to represent the oxygen filler valve.
I feel the interior could have been done better, but I'm having a problem with my bl**dy hands being stiff at the moment. Fortunately, not that much can be seen once it's all closed up, and it looks acceptable enough.
Next step is to fit the wing and tail-planes, after altering the elevator mass balance shape to the later style.
Thanks again for your continued interest and kind comments, and I'll post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 049.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 049.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 88
  • Bob Cross Spit V 047.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 047.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Bob Cross Spit V 059.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 059.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Bob Cross Spit V 052.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 052.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Bob Cross Spit V 061.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 061.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Bob Cross Spit V 063.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 063.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 97
Sounds like Humbrol is on the way out then. That's sad. They use to have one of the best products on the market. The Spitfire is looking great though and every time I check this out I'm learning. Thank you sir!:thumbright: :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back