1/48th Spitfire Vc, 136 Sqn, Burma, 1943-44.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You've made great progress since I last looked in, Terry and - as usual - brilliant scratch-building!

Thanks Gerry and Glenn, but there's still a long way to go yet!
But, the dark Green has been sprayed, freehand, and applied in stages to give a slightly worn look.
PICS 1 to 3. The Dark Green camouflage, with the masks removed form the code letters and underside.
PIC 4. The main gear legs have had the up-locks drilled out, and brake lines added from lead wire. The wheels were painted in a mix of Aluminium and white, then given a light wash. The tyres look rather factory fresh at the moment, but will be weathered to match the terrain of the display base later. (Spitfire spare tyres were treated like gold by the Squadron at the time, as they were in short supply. Even in the Christmas 1943 pantomime, 'Alladin', performed in the jungle by Squadron members, Spit tyres represented the treasure in the cave!)
Next stage is to weather the airframe slightly and do some light panel-line work, before applying a clear gloss ready for those troublesome old 'Almark' SEAC decals, as used on the MkVIII.
Thanks once again for your compliments and continued interest, and I hope to post more pics over the weekend.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 095.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 095.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Bob Cross Spit V 097.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 097.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Bob Cross Spit V 098.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 098.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 98
  • Bob Cross Spit V 092.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 092.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 104
Its looking super Terry! I really like the 'Dunlop' name on the tyres - brilliant!!!!
Max

Thanks very much Max, Peter and Karl. I hope to get the gloss clear done tonight, after some detail painting and light weathering - pics hopefully tomorrow.

Paint looks great Terry.

Thanks guys. The gloss coat is done, but not much to show yet. I'll post some pics when the main decals are on, within the next day or so.

The main decals are on, and some of the stencils. I just have to finish the latter, then make up the serial number form individual 'Tally Ho' decals.
I was less than impressed with the smaller Tamiya decals, including the wing walk lines, which had a marked tendency to break up and distort easily. I normally paint the walk lines, but decided to use the kit's decals, as they were there. Oh well !
PIC 1. The 'SEAC' roundels were from the same, old, 'Almarks' sheet used on the MkVIII, dated 1989, and, having learned 'the drill' from that model, each decal was soaked for between 4 to 5 minutes, then removed from the backing paper and turned over. The hardened adhesive was removed by brushing off with water and 'Micro Sol', to prevent clouding when applied, then positioned after being floated onto the required area, which was brushed with 'Sol. As soon as they had settled, they were then sealed with 'Future'.
PICS 2 to 3. How the model looks to date, with the roundels and fin flashes in place, and some of the stencils.
All being well, I hope to finish the decals tomorrow and then give the model a coat of 'Future', before moving on to some light weathering and staining. I just hope I can get the base done in time, as my carpenter friend is away for a week (he makes the wooden edging frame for me).
Thanks again for your interest and compliments, and I should have more pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 205.jpg
    Bob Cross build 205.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Bob Cross Spit V 102.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 102.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Bob Cross Spit V 100.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 100.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Back