1/72 B-26B “Mild and Bitter” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hub

Senior Airman
Feb 12, 2009
Adelaide South Australia
1/72 B-26B-20-MA "Mild and Bitter" - Heavy Hitters II GB

User Name: Hub
Name: Michael
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Airfix B-26B
Scale: 1/72nd.
Accessories: Quickboost Engines, propellers, exhausts and machine guns and maybe some others later.

Mild and Bitter was from the 452nd squadron of the 322nd bomb group of the 8th Air Force (later transfered to the 9th Air Force) flying out of Andrews Field (Great Saling) in Essex. She was the first B-26 to complete 100 missions.
I have had a couple of these in my stash for sometime, looks like now would be a good time to do at least one!

Attachments

• IMAG0194.jpg
    IMAG0194.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 5522053282_34179b7513_o.jpg
    5522053282_34179b7513_o.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 179
  • mild and bitter.jpg
    mild and bitter.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:
Good one. I remember when this kit was first released, probably over 40 years ago now, and it was a stunner for the time, in the way of detail. Even in 1/72nd scale, you'll need a lot of weight up front. Probably the only place to put it will be as far forward as possible in the radio compartment, and the engine naccelles, forward of the gear legs, if possible.

that I have I want to catch a b-26, did you make revell time that was a very big disappointment.
luck with it

I've been searching for about a year now for info on an aircraft that crashed on take-off from RAF Khormaksar, Aden about 1064/5. Yesterday I discovered that it was a Marauder. There were two being ferried by a couple of Americans to some trouble torn African country and it was the first on take-off that crashed. Only injuries were in pride and the crew jumped out of the aircraft and made their way to the second Marauder, jumped in and flew off, leaving the crumpled wreckage of the first laying on the runway for we Brits to clean up.

Guess I'll just have to add one of these to my stash.

Did a bit more homework on that story yesterday and though the photo I found of the wreck states it's a B-26, it is in fact on close examination an A-26. They were on route to the Congo, flown by CIA pilots.

So my apologies Michael, good tale but wrong aircraft.

Last edited:
Damn frustrating when you google B-26 and you get all the A/B-26 Invaders popping up:!:
Found some more goodies on line so I'll have to wait abit longer before I can start on the cockpit and fuselage.
Started working on the wings rescribing and sanding.
photos to follow

After the B-26 Marauder was retired from the Air Force inventory the A-26 was officially designated B-26 Invader. This happened some time shortly after the war so the Invaders used in Korea and Vietnam were B-26's. Confusing, I know.

Scribed all the major panel lines and sanded the wings to remove any rough edges or stray raised lines.
Bomb bay is quite well detailed for 1/72nd scale

Attachments

• IMAG0209.jpg
    IMAG0209.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back