1/72 B-26B “Mild and Bitter” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting info Terry!
Although some of the photos I've seen the crew chiefs might not have been doing their job:lol:
A bit more of the cockpit work and playing with the photo etch details over the last few days.
Created a floor for the radio and navigator station, a lot of detail to go in here even thou most won't be seen:!:

Attachments

• IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 70
Nice work. Forget about adding detail to the radio room - this area will need to be packed with weight, to keep the nose down (and the front of the engine cowls might need some too)!!
On my 1/48th scale model, I opened the 'curtain' in the radio room bulkhead, and scratch-built the two desks and seats, one either side, which can only just be seen when looking in through the cockpit - and I mean, only just, with the edges of the desks only being vaguely visible. Above these, and under these, I packed lead held in place with 'Plasticine' - it's the only (along with the engines) place to add the weight without it being visible.The room was painted silver. as per the real aircraft in this area, and only a hint of the lighter area can be seen through the side windows in the larger scale - no detail can be seen at all.
BTW, those photos showing the props other than at the 'X' setting will have been taken before the aircraft was left parked up - setting the props was a very important SOP !

Great work Mike, and yep, forget to mention the weights needed! Good call there Terry, and in that vein, fishing weights under the radio room floor is another option.

To be honest Evan, it'll need more weight than can be stuffed under the floor!
OK, this is only 1/72nd scale, but the balance shouldn't be any different to the 1/48th scale version. I did a balance trial on mine, and the only way I could keep the nose down was by doing as described earlier, which included stuffing weight under the floor and anywhere else it would go where it wouldn't be seen.
Had I not had the curtain open between cockpit and radio room, I would have just filled the space in the radio room, rather than stick the weights on the forward bulkhead, roof, and under the tables.
It really does need a lot of weight!

Nice set of detailing Mike, sure keep you busy for a while and such good detail in the small scale. Hope the weight problem works out as well, it's a bit of a sod when you can't get enough in.

If you know how to solder, grab some solder and form your own weights. Works great, as you get alot of weight per mass, in whatever shape you form it into.

STA52775.JPG

I use 1/8" thick leas sheet cut to fit tight in layers. Less gap so more weight it the same space as fishing sinkers. did both 1/48th and 1/72nd B-24D's where there is not much space and both sat down nice on the nose wheel.

Thanks for all the ideas:D
I'm not up to that stage yet, but once I have the cockpit sorted I'll see how much room I have left.
there are some nice spaces behind the engine cowlings, so I'll try and take advatage any space I can get
Might have to have a look at the neighbours roof tonight:lol:

In aquarium shops you could look for plant weights. These are strips of lead that you can bend and cut easily and should fit in a few spots nicely. As long as you apply the weights nose end of the tires, you should be good... Nice job. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back