1/72 B-26B “Mild and Bitter” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Didn't know if you had ever seen this, found it on the web.

Attachments

• USAAF-41-31819-B-26B-Marauder-9AF-322BG450BS-ER-X-Mild-and-Bitter-01.jpg
    USAAF-41-31819-B-26B-Marauder-9AF-322BG450BS-ER-X-Mild-and-Bitter-01.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 85
Didn't know if you had ever seen this, found it on the web.

Bill
I have seen that one before and there is a similar shot from the starboard side showing "Mild and Bitter" repeated.
i don't know if it was applied after it completed it's 100 mission and returned to the states or it had it when it flew in combat.
When Airfix reissued the kit some years ago they included the markings on the starboard side which I don't have:(

Mike

Attachments

• Mild and Bitter 41-31819.jpg
    Mild and Bitter 41-31819.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 82
Goodies arrived today:D
PE set, new engines, props and exhausts
Should keep me busy for quite awhile
Hopefully have tracked down another set of decals for both sides of nose, will have to wait and see when they get here
Mike

Attachments

• IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 64
Nice haul.
Just a useless bit of info regarding the props: when the aircraft was parked, the Crew Chief would always ensure each prop was 'pulled through', to align it in the form a of a 'X', on both engines. This was to prevent severe crank damage if a main wheel tyre deflated (which was not uncommon), when the aircraft would settle with its weight on a vertical prop blade. This, of course, not only severely damaged the prop, but loaded the engine crank, prop shaft and engine bearers - a big job, taking the aircraft out of service. With the props aligned correctly, if a tyre deflated, the prop would still be clear of the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back