1/72 BF-109E4 - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! I started working a little more on the display base ( The little brown thing under the plane in the last pics) and I started looking at the picture and it looks like the plane crashed into some bushes that lined a road or something. It seems like the shrubbery kinda changes with each pic so it's hard to tell. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I don't think these bushes were "mown" by the von Werra's kite. Looking at the pics he made the crash landing on a meadow partially and finished it on a fallow field. Please have a look at the two first images. There aren't any bushes or small trees around but there is some of weed. Please pay your attention to the tail wheel. The third image shows the tail wheel being free of the weed but there appeared kind of branches laid in quite nice row on the starboard and port wings. Also there appeared a pile of weed on the port horizontal stabilizer and bushes next to the port side of the fuselage. It is very likely these branches were brought to the crash site for camouflaging of the Bf 109E. Of course there is more of the weed seen in the two first shots ( on left and right, next to the trailing edge of both wings ) but it isn't the kind of bushes that can be noticed in the third image. And this is the reason for thinking the plane didn't crash into some bushes that lined a road or something like that.

Werra Bf 109E-4 Kent 1940_a.jpg

Werra Bf 109E-4 Kent 1940.jpg

Werra Bf 109E-4 Kent 1940_.jpg

I think he landed in a harvested hop field, although I'd have to find the book to check. The 'weeds' are possibly the remains of the hop plants, which are normally supported by canes and wire. Beyond, between the tree line and hop field, is a grass meadow. The soil appears to be a light sandy type, which would be right for the time ot year, after a mainly hot, dry summer.

Yes, it was common practice to cover downed enemy aircraft, particularly the wing crosses, which showed up quite well, to minimise the risk of strafing attack. Apart from the possible salvage value, all enemy aircraft were thoroughly examined, for new weapons, engine mods, special equipment etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back