1/72 DFS Kranich - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ahoy Evan
that looks neater then a bugs ear, very unusual but a good choice, LOlllllllllllllllllll looks like you might need a Tante Ju to towe her in the yild blue Good job ole buddy .

boats

Cheers guys!

Great idea Boats! According to the net they were towed in by armed Ju 87Bs, so may do a small diorama of glider and tug being prepped for take-off...

No further (physical) progress guys, 2 major logs in the road.

Firstly, unable to find reliable cockpit details of wartime machines, only rebuilds which have been 'modernised'.

Secondly, found out the oil was supposedly transported in drums, not jerry cans as I surmised. (thought that would be the most practical solution from a loading/unloading point of view)
Problem: Measuring up 1:72 oil drums, we have an 8 mm diameter drum trying to fit a 7 mm (externally ) wide fuselage. Scale plans suggest the kit is of correct width, but so are the drums.

The only way I can see a 200 L drum fitting the rear cockpit would be by lying it on it's side on the floor, yet given the lack of turning space, the only way to achieve this in a Kranich would be to remove the centre section transparency and over-wing decking, and jam it between the wing spar and rear frame. Even then there'd only be a hairs width between them...

Just dosen't sit right with me, so planning to halt this project for this GB, and build her later as a standard Luftwaffe trainer when accurate cockpit details come to light.

Apologies for yet another unfinished GB build.

Hmm. I've seen some pics in the last couple of days, showing the gliders on resupply flights - I'll have a look and see if there's any further info, as the pics must be in a book on my computer, I haven't been out of the house for over a week! Have a feeling they might be in one of the 'Im Focus' mags ...

Sorry to say nothing of value to report. The article was in one of the 'Luftwaffe im Focus' magazines, but only had a brief mention of re-supply, and a pic of a glider being towed. I have seen a pic of one on Crete, with oil/fuel drums in the foreground, but the latter are probably just coincidence, and it still doesn't help with regards to the way they were carried.

Interesting how far Germany would stretch the rules of engagement. Flagrant use of resources tho. To sacrifice the materials and manpower it took to manufacture a glider to transport a small tank of fuel, or do you expend more fuel in a tow plane to relaunch him. If not, what do you do with the pilot? All the training and you make him a mud soldier and rifle target?

Or am I missing something? Which would not surprise me.

Interesting build tho.

Cheers for looking Terry, appreciate it mate! Came up a blank myself, unable even to 'confirm' the resupply mission actually took place, all sources stating only 'it is reported that...' (I can well believe it though, given the desperate situation on the Russian front)

Paul, I like things to be as accurate as possible.... If we were talking undercarriage wells or something, I'd let it go, but it's the cockpit, with a nice clear vac form canopy... want it to be 'correct'!

Bill, yep, sounds like a waste, though the Ju 87B towplanes were armed apparently, and went on to attack selected targets after release, so no waste of fuel. The writing-off of a few gliders was probably a small price to pay to enable the tank unit to escape... Just wondering how easy it really was for the pilots to escape on foot - dosen't sound like much of a picnic!

Evan, here are the relevant pages, from 'Luftwaffe im Focus, 10', describing the flights, and showing the gliders and Ju52 tugs.

Attachments

• Glider page 1 Luft im Focus.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 145
  • Glider page 2 Luft im Focus.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
Cheers Terry!

Can only see the second page for some reason, but interesting read. No mention of the Ju 87B/ Kranich combination, just Ju 52/ DFS 230. Wonder if the Kranich mission actually took place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back