1/72 Fairey P4/34 modified from a Fairey Fulmar kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
I have a Special Hobby Fairey Fulmar "prototype" kit which I want to convert into the P4/34 light bomber prototype. As many will know the P4/34 didnt go into production but it provided a handy already flying prototype that could be converted into the prototype Naval Reconnaissance Fighter. I have printed off some diagrams of both the P4 and the Fulmar so I can work out what changes are need.

I need to move the horizontal tailplanes, modify the radiator and oil cooler, remove wing folding and armament panel lines and modify the cockpit canopy. The Canopy could be the problem area I might cut down the height of the canopy.

Colour scheme looks simple but I cant work out what the colour of the P4 was the only colour drawing I have come across looks to be a Cream or pale Buff colour. In photographs it looks painted but there is no indication of colour scheme. A possibilty is it could be Zinc Chromate which can be a pale yellow with a tint of green but more research is needed it could just be grey

fairey_p4-34_1.jpg
colours.jpg

Just realised I need to increase the wing span and tail span by a small amount.

P4/34 wingspan = 47 ft 4.5 in (14.440 m)
Fulmar wingspan = 46 ft 4.25 in (14.1288 m)

I might have to chop the wingtips off and scratch build new ones. The tailplanes only need a few millimetres adding so I might be able to extend them with a plasticard shim.

I have made a start chopping and changing. Removed the solid section that was behind pilot and moved it to rear to shorten the glazed section. Chopped the internal bulkheads a bit to make everything more open and bare assuming that a prototype wouldn't bother with too much equipment in the rear cockpit. I have also removed the tailplane root and filled the plug hole for the tailplane.
16240089501734557068909357444165.jpg
16240089871177423092133484002865.jpg
1624008970066498439321511333399.jpg

Colour scheme looks simple but I cant work out what the colour of the P4 was the only colour drawing I have come across looks to be a Cream or pale Buff colour. In photographs it looks painted but there is no indication of colour scheme. A possibilty is it could be Zinc Chromate which can be a pale yellow with a tint of green but more research is needed it could just be grey

View attachment 628830View attachment 628831.

That colour drawling looks like Sky to me, although the tonal quality of the photograph suggests a darker shade. I don't think Zinc Chromate would be commonly applied to British aircraft (tends to be an American thing). I'd go with perhaps a grey or pale blue for the colour, unless you can find a positive description somewhere for the actual shade used.

All the above is just speculation, so feel free to ignore as necessary...but good luck with this ambitious project.

That colour drawling looks like Sky to me, although the tonal quality of the photograph suggests a darker shade. I don't think Zinc Chromate would be commonly applied to British aircraft (tends to be an American thing). I'd go with perhaps a grey or pale blue for the colour, unless you can find a positive description somewhere for the actual shade used.

All the above is just speculation, so feel free to ignore as necessary...but good luck with this ambitious project.
I think you might be right with Sky type S another colour I was thinking of is RLM76 sky blue

A couple of shots more. These can come in handy...

Fairey P4_34 prototype_a.jpg

Fairey P4_34 prototype_d.jpg

Fairey P4_34 prototype_.jpg

Fairey P4_34 prototype_b.jpg

Fairey P4_34 prototype_c.jpg

the source: Krul Antiquarian Books.

From different sources ...
"Both prototypes were completely painted in light blue-green color similar to the camouflage Sky Type S"
"Geoffrey Bussey in the Fulmar Warpaint describes the P4/34 as being in Sky Grey overall"
"these four photos suggest to me that it is a neutral pale grey, or perhaps a pale green. I'd also suggest that the blue of the roundel was the brighter, lighter, prewar colour, not as dark as that in the profile."

I have got the canopy almost fitted some spots of filler needed. I would like to lower it some more as the P4 had a very sleek canopy but I would lose the width and leave a step.
16241351353581136755942195104603.jpg

The radiator tub has been shortened and made shallower. However when I had got it fitted I realised I had forgotten to fit the radiator core 🤬
1624135245664796513574777492038.jpg

I will need to plug the hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back