1/72 Focke Wulf Fw58B Aviacao Naval, Brazil - Me/ Fw Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What the hell does that mean, "hot"?

I want to do a NMF finish soon but want to get up to speed with the various options.

When referring to "hot" paints or specifically the thinners that are in them I always thought of it as the strength of the thinner, but that isn't totally correct. For example the thinner in Alclad is "hot" and the paint will mar the plastic if it isn't sprayed first with a primer that will stand up to it. Acetone would be considered "hot", but turpentine is at the other end of the spectrum. I first noticed this difference in thinners when I started doing dark washes on cockpits and found that if I used my Testors airbrush thinner it melted the paint I already had on, but the cheep brush cleaner I had picked up at the hardware store worked fine being not as "hot" as the expensive stuff.

Sealed the NMF with the recommended sealer which took a fair amount of the luster off. I then had the "brilliant" idea to spray clear gloss over it. It looked a little off but better then before. I then placed blue tape to mask the red lines on the wings. I sprayed (it was acrylic) and he red paint slighly covered the area, but then proceeded to collect in pools kinda like chicken pox. So I wiped it off and then removed the tape. I had tested it before with no problem but then time it removed spots of the clear gloss. I spent the night attempting to do a quick fix but to no avail. The truly sad part is, after looking through my notes about it I came across where somebody said not to do that. Ooooops

That being said I'm removing this from judging as I'm not happy with it, but I still plan on having it done by the deadline. I then put the decals on.

FW 58 Paint.jpg
FW 58 Decals.jpg

Damn David, that sucks. Why try to make the deadline if you're not happy with it? Maybe take a break and come back to it when you're more inclined to make it right?

Sorry to hear of your problems with the varnish, David. I agree with the others, though - don't ruin a really nice project by rushing it.

Hi David guys, I'm new here at this Forum.
I appreciated a lot your work and I am doing some research as I intend to build the very same plane.
I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and the last example of the FW-58 is in a museum not very far from here. I have seen it quite a few times. An old carpenter (now deceased) from my local Yacht Club actually worked on their construction in the 40s, and told me a lot of stories about the "Fábrica do Galeão" and these "big birds" as he recalled them.

That´s just one remark to your build, and I feel that it can make things a bit more accurate and actually easier for you: the FW-58 is actually painted in a flat, dull silver. The paint they use here is locally called "Alumilack", and it dulls pretty fast when exposed to the elements. BTW, the plane is almost entirely covered with fabric - it won´t shine as NMF at all. And the metal parts are painted with the same stuff as well.
So you don't need to make her shiny as you intended with the metallizers. Believe me, a dull silver like Humbrol 56, Tamyia XF-16 or Revell 36199 will do the trick very well. And all of these paints are much easier to handle, mask, etc.

HTH
Eduardo
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back