1/72 Memphis Belle Diorama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tonyb

Senior Airman
Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
I have always liked the movie Memphis Belle and love B-17's so a diorama of this was inevitable from me really.
This is the model I will be using - the Academy 1/72

p1090050n.jpg

I will be displaying it in a 'dispersal' area for which I will be using a piece of plywood -

p1090051n.jpg

I have given this a coat of Dulux 'River Rock' paint as I like the texture it gives and will be a good base for me to add the actual finished colour.

p1090057v.jpg

'Earth' undercoat applied.Mixture of fine green and yellow grass will be applied over this -

p1090071ia.jpg

I bought some 1/72 resin crew figurines off ebay -

p1090072j.jpg

I have ordered the Airfix Jeep/Buffalo set and will be utilising the Jeep in the diorama from this kit.
I have also ordered a B-17 Interior detailing set by Legend which is part resin,part photo-etch.

I have made a start on the B-17 kit.I want to display it with the doors open.
I have cut out the bottom entry hatch -

p1090053hl.jpg

Rear access door also cut out -

p1090058o.jpg

Both of these will be replaced using styrene sheet and in the open position.

Starboard side waist gunners window required cutting out also -

p1090054e.jpg

Not much more I can do right now until the detailing set arrives which should be any day now.
Cheers,
Tony.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. When you mention the movie, do you mean the real documentary, by William Wyler, or the ficticious movie shot at Binbrook, released in 1990?

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. When you mention the movie, do you mean the real documentary, by William Wyler, or the ficticious movie shot at Binbrook, released in 1990?
Sadly I haven't seen the documentary but I will seek it out now!I know the movie was factually nonsense but I still enjoyed it.What's not to like about B-17's in action?:D
I will have the crew in and around the jeep and probably have some ground personnel in there somewhere too.
Cheers,
Tony.

Good idea for a diorama. I know the story is fiction, but I love the movie, and my dad loved it too and he flew B-24 combat missions in the 8th AF so it can't be too far off the mark.

I'll be watching this thread with much anticipation.......

Looking forward to the build Tony.

As far as the movie goes, I liked the flying action but that's about it. Corny plot and corny lines in my opinion. Typical Hollywood bunk.

Hey Tony, looking forward to watching this come together. I too love the movie, and have sitting on my shelf here a 1:48 Belle waiting for some atttention!

cheers
pete

Thanx for link to the doco JB!!!. If you search you tube guys there is a doco about the restorers in memphis trying to keep the 'belle' in memphis, which the airforce have ultimately removed

Last edited:
Thanks for the link,brilliant stuff!:D
Not much to report except that I attacked the diorama base with the pant brush today -

p1090073q.jpg

Mixture of browns,greys and yellows to create a dirty and well used dispersal area (picture doesn't show it as well as in the flesh)

Once this dries,I'll get the grass mix on.

Quick question, the Academy kit has the canopy above the radio operator as fully enclosed but shouldn't this have an opening for his gun position? Any aftermarket parts for this or should I just attack with the scalpel?:)

Still waiting for my interior detail set.......:)-\"
Cheers,
Tony.
P.S. Where on earth are u going to keep a 1/48 Belle?:eek: That will be huge!

interesting project love it,i used to be ground crew on warbirds air displays for a couple of years in the late 80's only pushing things about onto the flight line from the hangers but it also got me close up to many ww2 aircraft,i think one of the highlights was sitting in the cockpit of one of these great beasts at West Malling in Kent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back