1/72 Short Stirling BIII - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like what your doing Glenn. If you get a minute and are feeling generous, could you explain to mere mortals how you applied your weathering techniques. How to steps is what i was looking for.

After a 5 1/2 year gap I've pulled this one off the shelf of doom, dusted it off and am back at it.

It was my second entry into Group Build 18, Heavy Hitters II. I was almost finished with it but time was running out so I concentrated on my first entry, a B-24 and put this one on the shelf intending to finish it up in short order. Well a few weeks went by and I had not touched it and then somehow it took a nosedive off the shelf and shattered the bombadeers window and cracked the seam above it. I wish I had taken a picture of the damage but I did not think of it until after I had started the repair last week.
Well anyway, when that happened I just totally lost interest in it and there it sat for over 5 years. Last week I was moving the box around and saw that I still had the vacuform bombardiers window. The broken part was the kit part as for some reason I had not used the vac part so I was still in business and decided to give it another go.

The first 3 pictures are the repair in progress and the last one is the landing gear which I had started way back when and gave it a wash coat of black tonight.

With a little luck I'll get it finished this time.

P1012783.JPG
P1012784.JPG
P1012785.JPG
P1012788.JPG

Last edited:
I like what your doing Glenn. If you get a minute and are feeling generous, could you explain to mere mortals how you applied your weathering techniques. How to steps is what i was looking for.
Sorry for the long, long, long, long, long delay in replying Michael. I guess I never went back to this thread to see your post. If you're still interested I used pastel earth tone and gray chalks, rather heavy and rubbed into the raised rivets with my fingers. The exhaust staining was the same chalk only black and applied with a stiff brush. It was then all sealed with Testors Dull Coat.

Thanks guys

I thought I had taken a picture of the damage back when it happened but could not find it. I stubbled on it last night so I thought I'd post it

IMG_1963.JPG

I'm just glad it wasn't more along when it took the dive. If it had the props and landing gear on it would have been unrecoverable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back