1/72 Short Stirling BIII - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just found out that Italeri plan to release a Stirling Mk1 kit, I don't when but I think it must be on it's way as the box art exists.

I heard about that a couple of months ago but decided to go ahead with the Airfix kit. The way new kits are priced today it will probably be in the $60 dollar range if not higher.

Nothing lately. I've been working on a P-40 in the current group build but I should be getting back to it shortly. Next step is to do a weathering wash, dull coat and pastels, then it will be ready to get all the breakable bits. I still have to think about how I'm doing the turrets though. I have the vac replacement ones but they're just an empty shell so I'll have to come up with some kind of scratch built interior for them.

Back to work on the Stirling, doing quite a bit of the weathering tonight. I did a rust colored sludge wash on the black and a black one on the upper surfaces, then distressed the entire surface with a very stiff dry paintbrush to get the riveting to stand out more. Still have to do the pastell staining and dull coat.

PA090502.JPG
PA090503.JPG
PA090504.JPG
PA090505.JPG

Last edited:
Not quite, I'm using the Vac turrets so that means I'll have to somehow scratch build the interior It'll probably be the hardest part of this kit.

I really like the exhaust weathering you have done on the wings, I have tried doing this but had horrible results and I don't dare trying again.

Nice going :) Really cool looking bird :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back