1/72 Short Stirling BIII - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Airfix Short Stirling BI/III
Scale: 1/72nd.
Accessories: Crystal Clear glassing. Scratch building in the cockpit area.

I've liked the look of the Stirling since I was a kid and saw a picture of it in the first WWII air warfare book ever I had, so my second entry in this group build is the old Airfix Stirling kit that's been around quite a while. Mine has been in my stash for 13 years and it had been around a long time when I bought it back then. I've taken it down many times to look into it trying to work up the courage to start it only to chicken out when seeing all those rivets and sink marks. So now I'm finally going to do it, saving all the rivets I can while still attempting to make the poorly fitting seams and sink marks disappear. (yea right :lol:)

I will be using the kit decals and building it pretty much out of the box except for the squadron canopy turret vac set and some scratch building in the cockpit. The bomb bay and crew door will be closed.

Here are some pictures of what came in the box and the vac canopy set. A whole lot of parts and quite a few are off the sprues, but I'm pretty sure it's all there. I've fitted up the main parts quite a few times over the years on false starts, but that's as far as it ever got.

P6250123.JPG
P6250125.JPG
P6250126.JPG
P6250127.JPG
P6250128.JPG
P6250129.JPG
P6250131.JPG
P6250132.JPG
P6250133.JPG
P6250134.JPG
P6250135.JPG

Last edited:
your a glutton for punishment Glenn :lol:
I have always been tempted to get this one as it was used by some RAAF squadrons.
It'll be interesting what you can do with it

Mike

First question:
I have plenty of pics of the cockpit interior but they're all B/W so I'm don't know the colors. Should it be interior green like a Spit cockpit or black like a Lancaster? Any help would be appreciated.

Started some detail work on the cockpit. The control panel was blank so I added some detail and drilled in the instrument faces. I did a little on the seats but they will need more. Next I made a start on the cockpit walls, again, still a lot to go there. I also glued together the wings and stabilizers. The vertical stabilizer was mis-formed as you can see and will need some work.

P6260136.JPG
P6260137.JPG
P6260138.JPG
P6260139.JPG
P6260140.JPG

Last edited:
Aw Glen, such a great choice man! Good luck with this one. I don't know much about this craft and won't be of much help but, like you, I have always been intrigued by it's size and tall stance. Good advice from Vic on those decals and you may want to cut away a lot of the film between the roundels and codes.

Obviously T or someone else would know better but I think RAF interior green, I think black was in later Lancsl. I'm on my phone right now but I did see one color picture of the turret and it looked a light grey

Good one Glenn. I'm in a lot of pain, with locked wrists at the moment, so can't lift books to check info - typing with one thumb at moment.
Interior was generally Cockpit Grey Green, but yours looks like a later Squadron, from the red codes, so would need to check squadron and period. They might have been black cockpit by this time, but I don't think so.

good job glenn

I'm always tempted to buy this plane but always ended up buying others, but as I have located a few of the bombers want to add to the attic, as having your work as an example I decide to bring him home.

Glenn I've just found an article on building this kit, so once I've checked out your email through PM. I'll send it on. They show the interior as being black and also doing great detailing just like you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back