1/72 Short Stirling BIII - Heavy Hitters II GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had a quick search Glenn, and from what I've found, the entire interior was Cockpit Green Grey. However, by late in its career as a bomber, the flight deck area of the cockpit, forward of the Navigator's station, was sometimes over painted in black, at unit level. The rest of the interior, including the bomb aimer's compartment, remained green.

nice work Glenn, seriously considering getting some 1/72 kits of 4 engine bombers
4 engine bombers is what started me back on 1/72 scale after years and years of exclusively building 1/48. I wanted a B-24 and started a 1/48th one but got to the point where I had to put on the wings and realized that if I did I would have nowhere to put the thing. That's when I did my first Academy B-24 and the stash of 1/72 multi engine planes began to grow. That unfinished Monogram B-24 is still in the box.

Had a quick search Glenn, and from what I've found, the entire interior was Cockpit Green Grey. However, by late in its career as a bomber, the flight deck area of the cockpit, forward of the Navigator's station, was sometimes over painted in black, at unit level. The rest of the interior, including the bomb aimer's compartment, remained green.
Thanks Terry. I think I'll go with the interior gray-green mostly because black would tend to hide all the detail I've put in. Vic sent me an article about a super detailed build of this kit with a gray-green base interior and I'll use that as a color guide. I intend to do the wheel wells and gear struts black as I've found pics showing that so I won't add interior detail there other than maybe the inside of the gear doors. Not sure yet about the bomb aimers compartment. I don't think much would be visible there. I know I'll have to do something with the turrets and Vic's article will come in handy there.

Glenn
Found this shot of a BIII cockpit.
you can see around the edges of the panel that the cockpit is a lighter colour.
cheers

Mike

Attachments

• stirling.jpg
    stirling.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 134
Just remembered, I have the 'Pilot's Notes' for the Stirling, with pics of the cockpit and Flight Engineer's station, plus some diagrams, if they'll help? There are also some interior pics on the forum photo gallery, posted by John BR.

Thanks Michael, that shows me something of the rudder pedals

I have the ones on the forum photo gallery Terry and I won't be doing the flight engineer's station as its aft of the cockpit bulkhead and won't be seen. If there's anything on the navigators chair in that manuel I could use it as I have no idea what it looks like and based on the difference between the real pilots chairs and what Airfix did I'm not betting they are even close with it.

Ahoy Glen
The Elephant is looking great so is the B-24 Hardy Well done are these going to be two GB side by side?. it would make a great addition to the GB. Keep up the great work.

Happy 4th Glen

Boats

Thanks Boats, and yes they're both on the group build

I've pretty much finished with the extras for the cockpit except for the navigator's seat. Test fitted everything. It looks like the lower floor is too low but looking in from the top it isn't noticeable. I'll just have to make the navigator's seat higher.

P6290151.JPG
P6290152.JPG
P6290153.JPG
P6290154.JPG
P6290155.JPG
P6290156.JPG

Last edited:
Here's what I have from the Pilot's Notes, and a cutaway of the nose area. I'm not sure about the Navigator's seat, but it might have had a curved back and sides, rather like a 'club' chair - I vaguely remember seeing this in some footage taken during a re-supply drop at Arnhem.
Note that the seats themselves were painted semi-matt black, with the cushions in either dark red/brown or dark green 'leatherette' or maybe leather.
When the role of Second Pilot was dispensed with, reducing the crew to seven, the right-hand seat would normally be occupied by the Flight Engineer for take off, and often by the Navigator for periods during the flight.

Attachments

• Can Jan 752.jpg
    Can Jan 752.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Can Jan 753.jpg
    Can Jan 753.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Can Jan 754.jpg
    Can Jan 754.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Can Jan 755.jpg
    Can Jan 755.jpg