1/8 Mig-3 But not really.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger,

Liquitex baltic green with Liquitex white added. The baltic green is a bit to dark straight out of the plastic jar.

Blacklist

Spit givith and spit takith away.

I burnished the nose area with a cotton rag and spit. Yes, spit. We all have it.

Pressure and duration determined the amount of the brown wash that needed to be removed from that overdone nose area.

I didn't remove all of it but I really thinned it out.

Not totally but I am a bit pleased with the outcome.

Something I can live with on this 1/8 semi-scale Mig-3 model. The test bed for my Stuka.

I'm charging the camera battery, but I'll get photos.

So. Can I draw a conclusion, that with waterbased paints that are extremely reduced with water, CAN be easily removed with a cotton rag, burnishing and spit?

I'm not trying to make a joke out of this. Well, maybe a little.

Blacklist

Edited with recent photos.

You can see from the other photos that the nose area is now miled down.
I can live with this.
DSCN8991new.jpg
DSCN8992new.jpg
DSCN8993new.jpg

Last edited:
exceptional work,that amount of time and patience are demonstrating to have, by the time the work is a punishment out to the airfield in case you have an accident, as I spend my with my spitfire

Destrozas,

Thanks for the reply.

There's not as much time spent on this model as you might think. Thank goodness.

Spitfire? Full size or model?

Blacklist

Lucky 13,

Thanks for that. You're being generous.

Crude actually, but not all that bad for what it is.

This is the test model, learning experience, for my Stuka.

Blacklist
DSCN8727.jpg
DSCN8730.jpg

This is the first time I've used waterbased paints finishing a model.

Since the mid 80's all I ever used was auto paint and auto clears. Guys used Epoxy paints before that. I never liked Epoxy paints.

I built and finished this model in the late 80's. All auto paints.

I don't like Rust-o-leum areosol can paint. I prefer Krylon. However, the only matt yellow available was with Rust-o-leum.

This yellow on the gear doors is only a base coat just to cover. Same yellow for the underside of the Mig-3, just to cover.

I'll use a waterbase yellow over that, applied nose to tail with my airbrush.

I added a few rivets and detailing to that small area and gave the nose area a couple coats of Liquitex mat clear. Can't take away now but I can add. These areas are done.

This is the waterbase yellow I have. I don't know if this is the correct color for the bottom?

Blacklist

Avengerlarge.jpg
DSCN8996.jpg
DSCN8997.jpg
DSCN8998.jpg
DSCN8999.jpg
DSCN9000.jpg

DSCN9001.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering about this color yellow which I have on the gear doors?

Certainly isn't a bright yellow, but did they use a bright yellow for the underside?

Blacklist

Geo,

OK, is that color available in model paints? Jars for airbrush, aerosol?

I didn't see it when I purchased that little Tamyia spray can?

Blacklist

Geo,

Thanks for that but, I cannot open the PDF file. Old PC.

That color is killing me.

Here's the thing. I have 500+ sq. in. of wing area to spray plus the elevator, stab and underbelly of the model.

Airbrush?

I might cheat with the color and look for something close in an aerosol can.

Shame on me.

Blacklist

Geo,

Thanks for that chart.

I do appreciate the interest and the help.

I couldn't really find anything that could take care of the area I need to paint in a limited amount of time. I really need an auto detail gun, or jam gun as we called them.

I have a couple but I'm not going to start them up for this model.

I did mention aerosol cans.

I found two colors of yellow, each a bit different, quite a bit different in fact.

I think if I apply a coat of one yellow then do a top coat with the other yellow, carefully, I may just get the color I need. Possibly.

Blacklist

DSCN9002.jpg

OK, OK, so you're laughing at this. That's OK and you can tell me that.

Wait and see.

Blacklist

Back to the yellow colour.. if you want you may use the Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue of the Liquitex Matt Paints series. I think it would match to the FS 33538. Also you may mix the Primary Yellow of the same paint series with Cadmium Yellow Deep Hue at 70/30% ratio, IMHO.

Wurger,

Yes, you are correct. However, that would be costly.

I know Liquitex quite well actually, I use Liquitex and Golden acrylics for the art I do.

Here's a peek.

tailpest.jpg

I see. So you may use the Testors/ModelMaster enamel RLM04 no.2072 or the Testors/ModelMaster Semi-Gloss Gelb RLM04 Acrylic Paint no.4771. Both of them shouldn't be too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back