#1 American Killer, ETO???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

alrightie then ! 8)

Klaus Neumann came from IV.Sturm/JG 3. Yep U guessed it a SturmFw pilot of incredible skill. A bomber killer for sure in every sense of the word. An able leader he first led the 2./JG 51 transferred into IV.Sturm/JG 3 with their Fw's with red markings the 2nd staffel alter becoming 16.Sturm/JG 3 and Klaus being one of the able staffelfuhrers in the staffel. Klaus was pulled out of the Sturm staffel into JV 44, which probably saved his life as he only spent little time on the Me 262 and got in very few missions. After the war, dejected and ashamed of his military career and died in obscurity in an old run-down rest home in central Germany. The man had a huge photo-album of measurable proportions and he was talked out of the photos by who knows who never to be seen again.............in vain I tried to contact the man through letter twice and found out that he had moved to another facility and then passed away.

Attachments

• neumann.jpg
    neumann.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 859
back from the Docs...........oooooooh how fun that was

ok if my hands will work

another mention of Sachsenberg. A notble ace finished up with the Dora protection staffel for Galland Circus-JV 44. Sachs did not like the 262 as he felt the a/c was just way too fast for him and his liking. Sachsenberg Schwarme or Würger staffel, also known incorrectly ast he Papagei staffel flew distinctive Doras with yellow tipped spinners and red/white stripes under the wings for recognition. also printed in old Germanic Schrift were catchy little personal sayings. The stafel of about 4-5 a/c claimed possibly 1 P-47 in southern German by Klaus Faber.

here is apic in front of Röte 3. Sachsenberg is second from the right in the Lederkombination

Attachments

• wurger_crew.jpg
    wurger_crew.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 740
Röte 13 was usually Klaus Fabers mount. Here sitting in an open field. note the other Dora numeral unknown way in the background with one of the legs busted off.

This a/c Klaus claimed 1 P-47 enroute to visit some honey with a bottle of the bubbly

E

Attachments

• rot13_real3.jpg
    rot13_real3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 773
For some reason Erich I think you have something to do with this webpage that I had found earlier and has information on the Wuerger Staffel. It is an exellent website and if you had something to do with the information on it, great work my friend. Anyhow here is some info on what he was saying about the sayings on the planes.

"Sachsenberg was a good pilot... We felt safer when his aircraft were in the air" Adolf Galland

The Me 262 was most vulnerable during takeoff and landing, more so than piston aircraft due to the greater time and distance required for the process. Marauding Allied pilots knew this and lurked around the bases in hopes of an easy kill.

Rather than depend on the High Command, Galland set about establishing his own Platzschutzstaffel (airfield defense squadron). For this he turned to the distinguished Eastern front ace, Leutnant Heinz Sachsenberg.

The Platzschutzstaffel was equipped with the long nosed Dora variant of the Fw 190, both D-9s and one very rare D-11 were used. The aircraft were painted with bright red and white striped undersurfaces to aid in recognition by weary 262 pilots returning to base, and also the anxious ground flak units. The aircraft also had unusual markings including a personal inscription on the port fuselage side.

Their mission was simple. Take off, climb to 1500 ft. Protect the jets. Land once the jets were safely away. They were forbidden to chase Allied planes.

The JV44 Platzschutzstaffel has in recent times been referred to as the Papageien Staffel (Parrots). There is no evidence that this is based on historic fact and is lilely due to the colorfully painted aircraft. According to Walter Krupinski, this staffel did occasionally use the radio call sign "Pagagei" (much like an allied flight may be called "Red" or "Baker"). To the pilots and personnel of JV44, the unit was simply known as the Würger-Staffel, literally translated Butcher-Bird Squadron. Würger was the official name given to the Focke-Wulf 190, much like Lightning was given to the P-38.
http://home.att.net/~JV44/jv44wurger.htm

And here are the known pilots and sayings that they had on there planes.

Lt Heinz Sachsenberg Fw 190D-9 'Rot 1' Verkaaft's mei Gwand 'I foahr in himmel!
(Sell my clothes I'm going to heaven)

Hptm. Waldemar Wübke Fw 190D-9 'Rot 3' Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn
(By order of the State Railway)*

Unknown Fw 190D-11 'Rot 4'
Possibly former V58 Der nächste Herr dieselbe Dame!
(The next man the same woman!)

Oblt Klaus Faber Fw 190D-9 'Rot 13'
W.Nr 213240 "Rein muß err" und wenn wir beide weinen!
(In he goes even though both of us will cry!)

Fw. Bodo Dirschauer Unknown Unknown

Lt. Karl-Heinz Hofmann Unknown Unknown

*A sarcastic comment originating when Wübke was ordered to fly Jabo missions during the Battle of Britain. The inscription was found on the sides of boxcars carrying bombs. Wübke felt bombs should be delivered by rail cars and bombers and not by fighters.
Wübke used this inscription throughout the war.
http://home.att.net/~JV44/jv44wurger.htm

It is deffinatly and interesting piece of history and neat to read, check it out.

Attachments

• rot13_drawng.jpg
    rot13_drawng.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 727
friend in the late 1980's I was keeping track of the unit with artist/historian Jerry Crandall who released their book on the staffel with great pics and profiles some years back....... it is an interesting and almost unknown unit. As far as I am aware all the members of the unit have passed away. when JV 44 was based near Salzburg the Würgers were at Ainring and it is almost funny since the staffel was unknown to most of the members of JV 44, that from the "count" Walter Krupinski

E `

well thank you very much. :D but I also am learning from you guys as well. you can well imagine what it may have been like in the early 1960's when I was starting out and trying to find veterans in the US that would take interest in my questions and then finally finding out the addy's of German service personell and writing them, mail taking sometimes a year for a return. so much has changed with high tech the last 10 years it is amazing. Sad for all of us the veterans from all sides are depleting at such an incredible rate that in 5-7 years they will be gone......

just like this German chap who flew 109G-10's and later the K, Werner Dehr. Promised him through a contact to write the guy and I waited to long and he passed away......

Attachments

• a9_1_b.jpg
    a9_1_b.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 698
Erich said:
well thank you very much. :D but I also am learning from you guys as well. you can well imagine what it may have been like in the early 1960's when I was starting out and trying to find veterans in the US that would take interest in my questions and then finally finding out the addy's of German service personell and writing them, mail taking sometimes a year for a return. so much has changed with high tech the last 10 years it is amazing. Sad for all of us the veterans from all sides are depleting at such an incredible rate that in 5-7 years they will be gone......

just like this German chap who flew 109G-10's and later the K, Werner Dehr. Promised him through a contact to write the guy and I waited to long and he passed away......

I agree it's very sad to lose that whole generation - I think the last generation where you did what had to be done in spite of the cost. I think we've become soft since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back