#1 American Killer, ETO???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

People often forget that even though they're they were the enemy, they were humans too and humans doing their job. Soldiers seem to understand that better than normal people. I've seen a lot of interviews with men who served in World War 2 showing a lot of respect and compassion for the Germans.

I can understand it be harder to respect the Japanese though. I saw a D-Day veteran shake hands with a German D-Day vet, he was defending the beach. The British vet even told the German that he probably shot a lot of his friends...but they still shook hands, and talked. There's a mutual respect, they both went through hell.

It's true, combat bonds are one of the strongest. les, will know that...

time heals some wounds gents, but I can tell you that there are those that will not forget nor forgive...........very sad.

my cousins grave

Attachments

• baergrave_505.jpg
    baergrave_505.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 515
Yes I can speak at length of one British engineer came in at Normandie and finally got severly wounded in 1945 with Fallshirmjäger in Holland. sent home from his wounds which he still feels to day using a cane. incredibly bitter and unforgiving of the Germans especially the Waffen SS. I have told him countless times that he needs to forgive to get this behind him after all these years but am told " You were not there ! "

yes that is true, and it is his decision of which I wish I could change....

graves forgotten, well almost

Attachments

• 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 509
As has been said, they may have been on the losing side, but those men fought and died for their country and their loved ones.
Yes some committed acts of great evil, but not all of them!

and that is what needs to be taught, pencil, paper in hand guys, and go interview some of these men before they are all gone, carry that digitial too. Even if it is German, British, Soviet, Japanese or America's # 1 killer in the ETO. History is still here and it is passing and way too soon there will be a void that we will never learn from again......

Erich, that is exactly what I am doing. I have been interviewing veterans for a book that I am working on. I have 4 now and am writing them into a good format, they tend to go from one story to the next fairly quickly. So I am trying to put it into a proper timeline in proper sequence. By the way, my interview techniques haev greatly improved. Your advice was good, be their friend. Not only do you get to hear some amazing stories, but you have another friend, and one that will be a very loyal friend at that.

You also have to understand the grief and sense of loss felt by so many because of the greed and ego of the German and Japanese.

Perhaps you are 3rd generation post-war, and did not see the depth of feelings about this subject in your parents hearts. It is hard to completely forgive the aggressors for their viscious behavior in a war of expansionism.

When it comes to the Germans, I feel that anyone who actively participated in the Nazi party disgraced themselves for eternity. For the Japanese it is a little different, as their culture was cruel going back hundreds of years, but still those who participated in any of the atrocities in China or Burma have stained thier souls forever.

It is important that these peoples' memories be as the supporters of evil that they were, so that future generations know that history does not forget.

=S=

Lunatic

If I can keep cranking, I am looking to get it out by the end of the year. I write alot anyway, and these stories are fascinating, so I have a vested interest to get them out for others to read. I am editing and adding to one tomorrow after another interview with Bernie Schneider. He was awarded the Silver Star in Italy. He had a "million dollar wound", shrapnel in his foot. Yet, he returned to his unit, just in time for the Anzio landing! I will give you a bit of a teaser though. He was awarded the Silver Star for facing down enemy fire to retreive 6 of his wounded comrades and bring them to safety and to get medical attention. He braved the enemy fire 6 times to get his buddies, one by one. This was AFTER being wounded himself in the initial attack.

Yet he still says it was "no big deal"! That is one hell of a guy!

Japanese culture was evil for hundreds of years, what? Anyway, my Grandad was in Burma and he could never forgive the Japanese. It's perfectly acceptable, I understand and respect any opinion of a War Vet.

Yes, they should be respected. I know some guys that were in WWII and will not speak a word about it. But they will talk your ear off about anything else. I am a second generation. My father was too young, but his brother in laws all fought in the Pacific, one Marine and one a SeaBee. I have a bunch of other cousins that were mostly Marines in the Pacific. They do not harbor any bad feelings to Japanese today. I know there are some that do, and have met some. But while there were bad apples in the axis, the average foot-soldier was just a normal guy like you or I that was just doing his job.

RG, I entirely agree with what you say. My great uncle George, who fought in Normandy, has his reasons for eternally hating the Germans I'm sure. I respect the man, and regard him as a hero!
The deeds of the Nazi era must never be forgotten! I personally don't view Germans as evil, nor do I believe that every Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, or even Waffen SS member was evil. That is simply my own belief, and I wouldn't dream of preaching absolute forgiveness to the victims.

But a line must be drawn somewhere...shouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back